Twitter Ban: FG Reveals 3 Reasons Why Social Media Site Was Shut Down Indefinitely

Twitter Ban: FG Reveals 3 Reasons Why Social Media Site Was Shut Down Indefinitely

FCT, Abuja - Following the indefinite suspension of Twitter in Nigerian, the federal government has explained the reasons why the operations of the microblogging site were put on hold.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Twitter Ban: FG Reveals 2 Reasons Why Social Media Site Was Shut Down Indefinitely
The FG has accused Twitter of promoting inciting comments against the government. Photo: @FMICNigeria
Source: UGC

The minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in a statement on Friday, June 4, in Abuja suggested that:

1. Twitter was suspended in the interest of Nigeria

2. The government accused the social media site of undermining Nigeria's corporate existence

3. The minister also suggested that the suspension was part of the regulation of all OTT and social media operations in Nigeria by the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC).

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel

The suspension of Twitter's operations in Nigerian comes shortly after the federal government criticised the social media giant for deleting a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari that warned of strong actions against secessionists.

Read also

Federal government suspends Twitter’s operations in Nigeria

The minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, on Wednesday, June 2, accused the microblogging site of bias on issues concerning Nigeria’s domestic affairs.

He said Twitter’s role is suspicious and Nigeria would not be fooled.

Briefly News recalls that a former presidential aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adamu Garba, had asked the Nigerian government to shut down the social media site in Nigeria.

Garba in a tweet on Thursday, June 3, said Twitter should be shut down for deleting President Muhammadu Buhari's tweet.

He argued that it was wrong for the social media company to remove Buhari's tweet which contained messages meant for Nigerian people.

Briefly News had earlier reported that former US president Donald Trump has had his 'indefinite ban on Facebook reduced to two years. He was banned from several social media platforms after the deadly attack on the US Capitol by his supporters.

Read also

Donald Trump's Facebook ban changed from 'indefinite' to 2 years

The two-year ban is the maximum punishment for violating Facebook's terms of service and has been backdated to start from 7 January 2021, the day after the protests took place.

In other news, Parler, an alternative social media platform favoured by conservatives and pro-Trump supporters, has been booted out of the Google Play Store, Apple Play Store and other downloading sites following mounting criticism.

The site of the app is also no longer available in what suggested that it has been kicked off the internet amid pressure from the public and Amazon employees.

According to CNN, Google, Amazon and Apple removed the app from the platform on Sunday, January 10, following a whirlpool of the controversy generated by the alternative app.

Since the unfortunate attacks on Capitol Hill on Wednesday, January 6, loyalists and supporters of embattled United States president Donald Trump have been using the app to create dangerous dissents.

Read also

Home affairs official in trouble for giving Bushiris SA residency

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel