Patrice Motsepe: 5 Facts about the man who paid R45 million to get FC Barcelona in SA

Patrice Motsepe: 5 Facts about the man who paid R45 million to get FC Barcelona in SA

On Wednesday night, South Africans had the honor to see the FC Barcelona team in action during an epic clash against the Mamelodi Sundowns at the FNB Stadium.

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See first" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

The Sundowns faced the strong Spanish side in hopes of winning the Nelson Mandela Cup, however they lost 3-1.

Despite their loss, South Africans walked away from the game satisfied. They witnessed some of the best names in international football in real life, including superstar Lionel Messi.

But, a lot overlooked the man responsible for the highly talked about match- Billionaire Patrice Motsepe, who is also the owner of the Mamelodi Sundowns.

So, Briefly.co.za decided to gather five facts about the man who was responsible for FC Barcelona to visit our beautiful country.

1. It was not cheap getting FC Barcelona in SA

According to reports by the Spanish media, getting FC Barcelona to agree to the friendly match against his team set Motsepe back EUR 3 million, which is about R45 million.

2. Proud owner of the Mamelodi Sundowns

In 2003, Motsepe bought 51% stakes in the football club, and less than a year later, he bought the remaining 49%, making him the sole owner of the Mamelodi Sundowns.

“By gaining 100% control of Sundowns, I am putting my money where my mouth is,” he said in 2004.

And, it seemed his investment paid off. This year, the Sundowns took the title of champions in the Premier Soccer League (PSL).

READ ALSO: DJ Sbu shows off his R5 million farm: My dad told me to invest in land

3. Motsepe has a lot of money

Okay, so this facts is sort of obvious. Just by looking at the previous two points it is evident Motsepe is rolling in the cash.

But, we decided to give an estimated of the mining magnate’s net worth. Motsepe was named the fourth richest person in SA in 2018, with a net worth of $2.4 billion, which totals just under R29 billion.

Being only 56-years-old, he is also the youngest among the top four richest South Africans. With a net worth that high, he’s able to afford multi million-rand mansions, cars and even private jets.

4. A wealthy man with a powerful family

As Briefly.co.za reported previously, Motsepe is the brother of South Africa’s First Lady, Tshepo Motsepe, which makes him the brother-in-law of President Cyril Ramaphosa.

5. He has a Doctorate Degree

The Billionaire received a doctorate degree from the University of Stellenbosch as part of their centennial celebrations earlier this year.

He was among only 14 thought leaders to receive the honour, which included founder of Gift of the Givers‚ Dr Imtiaz Sooliman and Professor Brian O’Connell.

Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.

Top 5 richest men in South Africa on Briefly. Everyone, quick: off the top of your head, name a billionaire. Now, think hard and name two or three South African billionaires. How about more? Don’t worry, we have gathered this extremely interesting information for you!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
From plenty crimes to zero, how Jozi car guards are making intersections safer

From plenty crimes to zero, how Jozi car guards are making intersections safer

From plenty crimes to zero, how Jozi car guards are making intersections safer
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel