Eating healthy begins with cooking right. If you are shopping for healthy recipes to add to your meal plan, we have got you covered. The healthy chicken wrap recipes below will make you want to eat wraps for dinner. The best part is that chicken wraps are quick and easy to prepare.
READ ALSO: Banting green list recipes
Chicken is one of the healthiest meats available in the market. When you combine chicken and other foods such as vegetables, and whole wheat tortilla, you end up with a very nutritious meal. Like with a sandwich, the fillings and ingredients determine how tasteful a chicken wrap is. Below are some of the chicken wrap ideas you can try out at home. You will notice that most of the ingredients used are easily available.
Chicken wraps recipes
Follow the guide below on how to make chicken wraps.
1. Simple chicken wrap recipe
When you need a quick fix, you can use this easy recipe to make chicken wraps for dinner. The meal below is for two to four people.
- .One tablespoon of salt
- Olive oil
- Black pepper for seasoning
- 2 Lettuce
- Three large tomatoes chopped
- Four whole wheat wraps (tortillas)
- Two onions
- One sliced avocado
- ¼ cup of Lime juice
- Season the fillets with black pepper and salt on all sides. Then coat the chicken breasts in breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil (two tablespoons) in a cooking pan, and then fry the chicken breasts until they turn golden brown on both sides. Then slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- Spread mayonnaise over the whole wheat wraps and then layer them with the lettuce leaves, sliced avocado, chopped spring onions, tomatoes, and the chicken strips. Then pour more mayonnaise on the layers and roll up the wrap tightly. You can secure the chicken wraps by inserting toothpicks at the ends.
- Squeeze some lime juice over the chicken wraps and serve.
2. Spicy chicken wrap recipe
If you like the tastes of the different flavors and herbs, then the spicy chicken wrap is a must try.
- 800 grams chicken fillet
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- Two crushed garlic cloves
- Four tablespoons of freshly cut coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder
- ¼ teaspoon of dried chili flakes
- Two tablespoons of lime juice
- Two medium-size carrots, grated
- Six thinly sliced green onions
- ½ shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Eight large whole wheat wraps (tortillas)
- Mix cumin, garlic, pepper, chili flakes, lime juice, coriander leaves, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Then add the chicken fillets and stir. Cover the bowl with a food wrap and refrigerate the mixture for 30 mins.
- As you wait, prepare the cabbage, carrots, onions, and some coriander leaves and mix them in food container, and then season with black pepper and salt. Then in a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise and lime juice. Add the mayonnaise combination to the cabbage mixture and stir properly.
- Heat your chargrill or barbecue plate on medium heat. Then cook the chicken fillets for 4 to 5 minutes until both sides are properly cooked. Transfer the chicken to a food container and cover it.
- Layer the whole wheat wraps with chicken and the cabbage mixing. Then roll and serve.
3. Chicken lettuce wrap
This chicken lettuce wrap is for all the vegetable lovers and people looking for gluten-free chicken wrap recipes. Lettuce has broad and strong leaves that can hold any filling. When shopping for lettuce, select the ones that have fresh outer leaves and small heads.
- 500 grams ground chicken
- Two teaspoons of olive oil
- 8 ounces of finely chopped mushrooms
- Six diced onions
- Two bell peppers
- Two medium-size grated carrots
- A tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- Three cloves of garlic, crushed
- Black pepper
- One teaspoon of salt
- Two small head lettuce
- Heat (medium eat) one teaspoon of olive oil in a pan, add the ground chicken, and allow it to cook for eight minutes. Afterward, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- Cook the onions, carrots, and bell peppers in one teaspoon of olive oil. Add the mushrooms, stir, and let the mixture cook for 4 to five minutes. Next, add the freshly ground ginger and garlic stir and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken to the vegetable mixture and let it cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Separate the lettuce leaves from the head and place them on a plate. Layer the lettuce leaves with the vegetable mixture and roll the wrap.
You can serve the chicken lettuce with sauces and other small dishes. Also, you can use collard greens or cabbage leaves instead of lettuce.
4. Sweet and spicy chicken wrap recipe
When you cannot decide between sweet or spicy, always go for a recipe that combines the two.
- 800 grams of skinless chicken breasts cut in strips
- ¼ cup chopped cucumber
- One teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Two tablespoons of honey
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- 8-inch whole wheat wraps (tortillas)
- 1 cup of tomato paste or salsa
- One bag of baby spinach wraps
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, black pepper, cucumber, a tablespoon of honey and half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a bowl and mix until smooth. Then cover with a wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat (medium-high heat) olive oil in a pan and cook the chicken breasts until they turn golden brown. Add the tomato paste, half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and a tablespoon of honey and stir. Let the chicken mixture simmer on medium-low heat for about five minutes until the flavors blend.
- Layer the whole wheat wraps with a tablespoon of the cucumber-mayonnaise mixture, and then add baby spinach leaves. Top the layers with a half a cup of the chicken mixture.
- Fold and roll the whole wheat wraps to enclose the fillings.
5. Chicken wraps recipe with Greek yogurt
Greek yogurt adds a savory taste to your chicken wraps.
- Chicken wraps with Greek yogurt
- 650 grams of chicken fillets
- Eight tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- One teaspoon of ground cumin
- Two tablespoons of paprika
- One sliced yellow pepper
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- One sliced red pepper
- One teaspoon of ground coriander
- One thinly sliced red onion
- One tablespoon chopped coriander
- ¼ diced cucumber
- Eight wholemeal wraps (tortillas)
- ½ cup of salsa or canned stewed tomatoes
- Slice the chicken fillets into thin strips then sprinkle over coriander, cayenne, paprika, and cumin. Stir the chicken mixture until the flavors blend and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat (medium-heat) olive oil in a pan, add the chicken fillets and let them cook for about six to eight minutes. Place the chicken in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onions, yellow pepper, red pepper, and coriander to the pan and cook for five minutes. Then add the chicken and stir the mixture. Finally, add four tablespoons of salsa or canned stewed tomatoes to the pan, mix, and heat for one minute.
- Mix Greek yogurt with coriander and cucumber in a separate bowl.
- Spread the Greek yogurt mixture over the wholemeal wraps. Then layer the wraps with an eighth of the chicken mixture, and top it with the Greek yogurt mixture.
You can serve the chicken wraps with baked potatoes, apple slices and sauce for dinner. Also, you can use other seasonings and toppings including fruits to make your chicken wraps flavorful.
READ ALSO: Banting green list recipes
Use the different recipes on how to make a chicken wrap as a guide. Also, you can experiment with different flavors, vegetables, and spices and come up with your healthy chicken wrap recipes. Remember, there are several other wraps recipes including shrimps wraps, pork wraps, and beef wraps among other.
- Banting bread recipes
- Vegetable banting recipes
- Restaurant offers 100-year-old man free food for life
- 2 restaurant owners supply food to the unemployed so they don't go hungry while job hunting
- Cape Town restaurant looks after the homeless and it gives South Africans the feels