Jerry Mofokeng is an actor (both screen and stage), producer, and director from South Africa. The acting legend is known for making appearances in several successful films including Cry The Beloved Country, Mandela and de Klerk, Tsotsi, and other films that you will read later. Jerry is also known for his awards such as the Golden Horn Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Feature Film.
Did you know that earlier this year, Jerry Mofokeng became a doctor? In as much as he was only given an honorary doctorate, it is commendable that he became one of the few artists to get such an honour; with some of the other artists being Letta Mbuli and Esther Mahlangu. The doctorate did not come from just any institution, but from the University of Free State. So, who is Jerry Mofokeng, and what has he done to deserve this great admiration and recognition locally and abroad?
Jerry Mofokeng profile summary
- Full name: Dr. Jerry Mofokeng (also Jerry Mofokeng wa Makhetha)
- Date of birth: 17th of April 1956
- Jerry Mofokeng birthplace: Orlando West, Soweto, Gauteng, South Africa
- Jerry Mofokeng age: 63 years old as of 2019
- Nationality: South African
- Jerry Mofokeng Instagram: @jerrymofokeng8
- Jerry Mofokeng Facebook: @Jerry Mofokeng Wa Makhetha.
- Jerry Mofokeng Twitter: @Jerrymofokeng
- Relationship status: Married
- Occupation: Screen and stage actor, producer, and director
- Famous for: Appearances in several successful films like Tsotsi, awards like the Golden Horn Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Feature Film, and receiving an honorary degree
- Counselling contact details: Telephone - (072) 0285238 (contact Noxolo) or email - email@example.com
Jerry Mofokeng biography
Born in Soweto, Jerry spent most of his childhood in Lesotho. From 1970 -1974, and 1976, he attended Orlando West High School and Youth Alive Ministries, and he then joined Wits Drama School where he majored in acting. He proceeded to the USA on a Fullbright scholarship and attended New York's Columbia University for his master's degree in Theatre Directing from 1987 - 1991. All this hard work was capped off by the doctorate he received earlier this year.
Jerry Mofokeng family
Who is Jerry Mofokeng wife? The learned and talented actor, who is a member of Grace Bible Church, is married to Claudine Mofokeng. The two have been together as husband and wife since June 1980, and they have five children including the famous Jerry Mofokeng son, Lerato Makhetha. The couple's other children are Tsakane, Palesa, Mpho, and Mosa.
For a long time, Jerry always assumed that he was a Mofokeng. However, his biological father is actually a Makhetha, and he found this out when he was 58 years old. He revealed this to the public in February 2017 during the South African Film and Television Awards nominations party. His biological father's name is Dan Motlepo Makgetha. Jerry applied for a new identity, which explains his alternative name.
Career in the film industry
In the initial years of his career, Jerry used to act in the community theatre in a time when student riots were rampant. After his studies, his stellar career began in earnest in the 1990s where he started as a teacher at Wits. Jerry worked his way up the rungs from an Associate Artistic Director at The Johannesburg Civic Theatre all the way to the Artistic Director of The State Theatre in Pretoria.
In the course of that stellar career, he also released numerous movies that we know and love today. He has managed to do all these with the disability in his eye, which he has lived with since high school. Jerry lost his eye during lunch break when a bottle cut him.
Jerry Mofokeng TV and movie roles
The son of Dan Motlepo Makgetha has appeared in the following roles:
- 90 Plein Street - Season 1
- Heist - Season 1 & 2
- End Game - Season 1
- Scandal! - Season 1
- Sober Companion - Season 1
- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Season 1
- Let Heaven Wait - Season 1
- Isidingo - Season 1
- Curious Culture - Season 1
- Cry, the Beloved Country
- Lord of War
- The Forgotten Kingdom
- Mama Jack
- Mr. Bones
- A Good Man in Africa
Jerry Mofokeng awards
The legend’s awards include:
- 2006: Golden Horn Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Feature Film (Max and Mona)
- 2007: Golden Horn Award for Best Supporting Actor in a TV Drama Series (When We Were Black)
- 2017: Golden Horn Award for Best Actor in a TV Drama (Heist)
Counselling and book
Today, in his spare time, Makhetha does marriage counselling together with his wife, although they have separate practices. He holds talks and seminars on love, courtship, and marriage in institutions and churches among other platforms. To that effect, he has a book titled In Love & Intimate, which was released in 2015. Jerry is also a freelance artist who dabbles in everything including teaching, writing, acting, and directing. He has also hosted the programme Curious Culture at some point.
It is without a doubt that this Mzansi celebrity has lived through a lifetime of discrimination due to the Jerry Mofokeng eye defect that he got by accident, but he has still done it. He has succeeded in a harsh world where most have failed, and his legend continues.
- Hlaudi Motsoeneng biography: age, married, matric, WITS, political party, SABC, salary, and latest news
- Dineo Moeketsi biography: age, husband, wedding pics, mother, before and after photos and Instagram
- Ben Stokes biography: age, measurements, wife, family, parents, family tragedy, team, stats, and Instagram
- Khanyi Dhlomo Biography, New Baby, House, Age, Husband, Wedding and Awards
- Xolile Tshabalala biography: age, baby, husband, actress, Generations, pictures and Instagram