Most people desire to get married to the loves of their lives. While we can agree that marriage is a beautiful institution, it is not entirely free of fraud. Some people lie about their marital status, while others use others' details in marital contracts without consent. Knowing how to conduct a marital status check could save you from potentially damaging situations.
The number of fraudulent marriages in South Africa is on the rise. Fortunately, you can conduct a marital status check with the Department of Home Affairs to know your legal status. You can also confirm whether a person is lying to you about their marital status.
Marital status check in South Africa
The South African government developed an online marital status check process to counter the issue of fraud in unions in the country. The Department of Home Affairs has a database that keeps the records of married people in the country.
The database allows members of the public to check their status remotely. You are encouraged to check your status to confirm its legality.
It is worth noting that the checking system is temporarily suspended, and the Department of Home Affairs will announce once it is open for use.
How to check your marital status in South Africa
Learning how to check your marital status in South Africa is encouraged. Although the system is currently suspended, this information will come in handy once the Department of Home Affairs announces it is back to normal functionality.
In 2003, the Department of Home Affairs introduced smart card Identification Documents. The barcodes on the cards have proven to be difficult to forge.
If you have been wondering how to check your marital status online in South Africa, you should know you need your South African ID number printed on your smart ID card.
How to check your marital status online in South Africa
If you wish to check your marital status online in South Africa, you should know it is not possible at the moment. This is because the online checking system has been suspended until further notice. You can use the SMS option to confirm the details.
Marital status check via SMS
If you have been wondering how to check the marital status of a person, you can do it using the SMS option. Below are the steps you should follow.
- Open the messages app on your phone.
- Type the letter M followed by your national ID number or passport number.
- Send the message to 32551. A single SMS will cost you R1.
- The results of the process of marital status check in South Africa will be sent to your phone in the form of a short text message.
If you need further information, you can contact the Department of Home Affairs through 0800 60 11 90.
Marriage rules set by the Department of Home Affairs
The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for solemnising civil unions, civil marriages, and customary marriages in South Africa. Its operations are guided by the Marriage Act of the South African constitution.
The department has stringent rules regarding the marriage process. The rules regulate the process and are also a strategy to curb fraud.
Before getting married in South Africa, you must ensure you adhere to the rules listed below.
- Both parties should ensure they qualify to get married, as guided by the Constitution of South Africa.
- Both parties should ensure that they are aware of and understand the consequences of being legally married. This requirement refers to the issue of ownership of property.
- Both parties should ensure that their union will abide by the legal requirements of a legal union in South Africa.
What do I need to get married at Home Affairs?
Apart from the rules mentioned above, both parties are required to have the following documents:
- Identification documents, i.e., South African national ID card or valid passports.
- If it is a union between a South African citizen and a non-South African, both parties are required to present valid passports. They will also be required to submit a filled-in BI-31 Form.
- If the wedding involves someone who is below eighteen years, they are required to present consent (Form DHA-32) from their parent, legal guardian, judge, or an officer from the Commissioner of Child Welfare.
- If either of the parties is widowed, they are required to present the death certificate of their deceased spouse.
- If either of the parties is divorced, they are required to present the final decree of the divorce.
Marriage certificates in South Africa
Marriages in South Africa must be conducted in designated locations, as guided by the country's constitution. A marriage officer oversees the signing of the marriage certificate alongside two other witnesses.
Signing this certificate is proof that the union is official with the consent of the two parties. The officer issues a handwritten certificate (BI-27) without charging them any money.
After the ceremony, the officer is required to submit the marriage register to the nearest Department of Home Affairs office for the couple's details to be updated in the National Population Register. It is necessary for the newly married couple to confirm their marriage status.
How can I check my marital status in SA?
You can check your marital status by sending the letter M followed by your national ID number or passport number to 32551. You will receive an SMS with the details. Note that the online system is currently suspended.
How can I check if someone is divorced in South Africa?
It is not possible to view divorce decrees online in South Africa. If you want to check if someone is divorced, you should contact the High Court to obtain a copy of the original divorce decree.
The online marital status check process in South Africa is currently suspended. The Department of Home Affairs will announce when the system is active. In the meantime, you can check your status via SMS.
DISCLAIMER: This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
Briefly.co.za recently published info on how to check your driver's license status online in South Africa. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a valid driving license in SA.
NaTIS has made the process on how to check if a driver's license is ready for collection accessible online. Note that the relevant authorities at NaTIS dispose of driving permits that are not collected within 120 days.
Source: Briefly News