- Nokuthula Mavuso has joined a list of Mzansi artists who have admitted that they are struggling financially amid the Covid-19 pandemic
- The star penned a precise Twitter thread to Minister Nathi Mthethwa detailing her struggle as a freelance actress
- Nokuthula said she was due to work on a series that was meant to shoot on March 26, 2020 but was postponed due to the ongoing lockdown
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!
Mzansi artists are struggling financially amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
Many of them were happy when Sports, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa announced the R150 million relief fund to help sportsmen and artists during the ongoing lockdown that's due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Most Mzansi celebs have now taken to social media to share their grievances about the lack of financial support from government since the lockdown began.
Actress Nokuthula Mavuso has joined the likes of Kelly Khumalo, Rami Chuene, and Stoan Seate who have complained about the lack of funding from government.
Nokuthula wrote a precise Twitter thread to Mthethwa and the SA presidency, detailing her struggle as a freelance actress.
She revealed that she last worked in April 2019 before the birth of her child.
"Dear, @NathiMthethwaSA @PresidencyZA, My name is Nokuthula Mavuso and I’m a freelance actor who hasn’t worked since the birth of my child in April 2019. I was due to work on a series that was meant to shoot on March 26, 2020. The project cannot resume until ports of entry are reopened as the leads are from the UK and US."
The star said her upcoming gig was therefore postponed due to the lockdown imposed in Mzansi to flatten the Covid-19 curve.
READ ALSO: Idols SA PR manager slammed for Qwabe Twins' hate for their ride
Nokuthula said she had submitted all necessary documentation but she is yet to receive correspondence from government.
"I was hopeful that the fund would cushion the #LockdownSA #COVID19SA blow. I sent through all required docs by your dept, I’m yet to receive an acknowledgment of receipt from your dept. It pains me that actors like myself have been ignored or rejected without plausible explanation."
Briefly.co.za reported earlier on Monday that Kelly is one of a number of Mzansi artists who have complained to Mthethwa about being in the dark about the promised relief fund.
Kelly shared a video on Instagram where she poured out her grievances to government.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!