The name Thokozile Masipa hit the headlines after the talented and competent judge was given the mandate to preside over the trial of popular Paralympian, Pistorius, in 2014. This is one case that shook the world as it encompassed a man who had previously won the hearts of many through his amazing talent despite being physically disabled.
The world watched closely and keenly as the case took a twist when the notable judge found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide but not guilty of murder. The verdict brought out a ton of emotions and reactions from people who had different expectations regarding the death of Reeva Steenkamp throughout the world, and especially in South Africa.
- Full name: Thokozile Matilda Masipa
- Year of birth: October 16, 1947
- Age: 72 years
- Gender: Female
- Career: Judge
In the heart of Johannesburg, Judge Masipa was born on October 16, 1947, in Orlando East, in Soweto. She is the firstborn in a family of 10 children. The passionate judge joined Immaculata High School and completed her studies in 1966. In 1974, she obtained her BA degree with a specialty in Social Work. She continued with her studies, and in 1990, she received her LLB from the University of South Africa.
She worked as a social worker and a crime reporter before developing a passion for law. Some of the places she worked in include The World, Post, and The Sowetan newspapers. Interestingly, her law career kick-started after she was admitted to the bar in 1991. She was appointed as a judge in the Transvaal Provincial Division of the High Court of South Africa. Her appointment made her become the second black woman to be appointed as a judge in the High Court.
The judge has been the center of focus in various cases throughout her career, where she has made notable verdicts. Here are some of the high profile cases:
- In 2009, she ruled on Blue Moonlight Properties v Occupiers of Saratoga Avenue, where her ruling contributed to case law on the constitutional duties of local government related to housing.
- In 2009, she sentenced a former prison officer to life in jail after he was charged with killing his wife after arguing over separation terms.
- In 2013, she sentenced a man to 252 years in prison who was charged with raping three women in their own homes.
- In 2014, she presided for six months on the Oscar Pistorius case for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp, where she ruled by sentencing him to five years imprisonment after finding him guilty of culpable homicide but not guilty of murder. An appeal was made, and in her new sentence, the judge only increased the sentence to six years. However, the six-year sentence was appealed by the National Prosecuting Authority, and South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal increased the sentence to 15 years and five months.
Oscar Pistorius 2019
Before the new sentence against the former athlete, he was eligible for parole in 2019. However, under the terms of the new sentence, he is not eligible for parole until 2023.
Judge Thokozile Masipa husband is known as Makhutla Wilson Masipa. Thokozile Masipa children with him are two.
Buy a Personalized Vogue Photo A5 Notebook that has judge Thokozile Masipa's photo. You can also request one that has any image or the words of your choice.
What is Thokozile Masipa net worth?
The notable judge has been quite successful throughout her law career. There is no actual figure to state Thokozile Masipa net worth; however, in 2015, when judges came clean on their riches, the judge declared having two homes. There is also no clear information on Thokozile Masipa salary.
READ ALSO: Ian Roberts bio: age, children, wife, education, books, movies, tv shows, profile
Thokozile Masipa is a judge whose accomplishments are notable in the country. She is an excellent symbol of justice and encouragement to many women who refer her as a source of inspiration.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that some of the links in the article are affiliate links and BRIEFLY.co.za will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. However, we always choose only the best quality products that we use ourselves and recommend to our readers. The earnings we get from the affiliate marketing help us continue preparing useful and entertaining content, that our audience enjoys.
- Da l.e.s bio: age, girlfriend, parents, songs, AKA, house, profile, net worth
- Thembinkosi Nciza tk nciza bio: age, son, girlfriend, wife, ANC, profile, net worth
- Nokuthula Mabika bio: age, son, husband, car accident, Uzalo, car, Instagram
Source: Briefly News