- Ex-president Jacob Zuma's legal team has confirmed that he has indeed declined to appear before the State Capture Inquiry
- Despite a summons being issued for the ANC politician for this week, Zuma's legal team is adamant he isn't breaking the law
- Instead, they say that the review of Raymond Zondo's recusal has yet to be finalised
Former president Jacob Zuma's legal team has confirmed that he will indeed not be appearing before the State Capture Inquiry.
In a letter sent to inform the Constitutional Court of the decision, Mabuza Attorneys outlined the reasons:
"The Commission is aware that the review application which President Zuma has instituted to set aside the refusal by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo to recuse himself from hearing matters concerning him and his family is yet to be determined by the court."
The attorneys claim that the summons issued for Zuma to appear before the Inquiry is 'irregular and not in line with the Fourth Order of the Constitutional Court judgment of 28 January, 2021'.
Mabuza Attorneys claim that Zuma's appearance at the Inquiry under the current circumstances would 'undermine and invalidate' the review application. The attorneys further pointed out that the Constitutional Court had not considered this review application when the matter had been brought before it.
The legal team insists that the decision should not be 'construed to suggest any defiance of a legal process'.
Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za reported that uMkhonto weSizwe military veterans are heading to Nkandla to do what is "necessary" to prevent former president Jacob Zuma from being arrested.
Zuma has refused to appear before the Zondo Commission of Inquiry despite being threatened with arrest. 200 MK vets are being deployed and have set up their camp outside Zuma's home in Nkandla in Northern KZN.
Zuma has doubled down on his refusal to appear before the commission even if it means his arrest. This follows the MKMVA's seven-hour meeting with Zuma on Thursday, during which the MK vets reaffirmed their support for Zuma.
MKMVA is adamant that exile or prison aren't on the cards for Jacob Zuma. Carl Niehaus, the MKMVA spokesperson, has said that the cost to maintain the force outside Nkandla would be paid for by businesspeople who were prepared to donate the funds necessary to protect Zuma from arrest.
He warned that Zuma's arrest would cause instability in South Africa and he said that that was not necessary.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!