We are all surrounded by fast foods leaving us with little time to grab a recipe and prepare a delicious meal. Have you ever stopped to wonder how fast the food industry has gained status? Occasionally, I do. Amid these global dynamics in the industry, learning to prepare our favorite meals at home is a good practice. There are limitless recipes you can try and entertain your family members and friends regardless of the occasion. This article analyses explicitly some of the best mince recipes you should give a try in your next cooking experience. Most of our mince recipes South Africa are easy to prepare and only take few minutes to cook with proper ingredients in place. We have covered multiple mince recipes ideas to help you settle on the best dish.
READ ALSO: Banting dessert recipes
Top featured recipes in our list include bolognese, lasagna, and traditional bobotie. Our savory mince dishes are resourceful and guarantee an excellent experience to all family members. It is crucial to highlight that there are several variations when preparing mince recipes. Read on to master these variations and learn how to make the most out of each mince recipe.
Easy recipes with mince
Recipes with mince are tremendous and limitless in their variations, which is one of the reasons why they are popular across the globe. South Africans are mainly known for preparing meals with mince recipes that are uncommon in other parts of the world. Let’s get down to some of the leading South African mince recipes that will likely thrill your gut.
1. Quick and easy cottage pie
This type of pie comes in different sizes; both small and big based on one’s preferences.
- 1 –finely chopped large onion
- 850g beef mince
- 30ml –sunflower oil
- 30ml Worcester sauce
- 10ml chopped garlic
- 50g Rhodes tomato paste sachet
- 500ml of prepared beef stock
- 15 ml dry Italian herbs
- coarsely ground pepper
- 45 ml (3 T) milk
- 80 ml (⅓ C) butter
- 900 g potatoes, even sized cut pieces
- Two 410 g cans Rhodes Mixed Vegetables, drained
- Add oil and fry the onions until they turn golden and become soft.
- Add the mince and stir until it browns lightly. Then add Rhodes tomato paste, Worcester sauce, dried herbs, garlic and stock.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes for the liquids to reduce and thicken.
- Carefully cook salted potatoes in hot water until they become tender and drain them.
- Now add milk, mash and butter until you realize a desirable level of smoothness.
- Season to achieve a better taste with pepper then set aside.
- Add the Rhodes Mixed Vegetables to the heating mince then season and cover with the mashed potato for better taste.
- Bake the mixture in a preheated oven at a temperature of 180 ˚C for about 20 minutes when the baking turns golden and bubbly.
2. Curried mince and pea pies
The recipe is easy to prepare and is characteristic of the peas. Even better, this South African cuisine comes a unique curry flavor uncommon in other types of mince dishes.
- 2 teaspoon or 30 ml -sunflower oil
- 1 -brown onion, chopped
- 600g -beef mince
- 2 teaspoon or 10 ml -mild curry powder
- 1 -clove garlic, crushed
- 5 ml -turmeric
- 410g -can Rhodes Processed Peas, drained
- 5 ml -garam masala
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- 1 egg -lightly whisked for brushing
- 500g -ready-made puff pastry
- Heat the oil and then add beef mince in a saucepan.
- Fry the mince until it is almost cooked.
- Now drain away any extra fat and set the mince aside.
- Use the same pan to fry the onions until they soften and become translucent.
- Apply garlic alongside other spices and cook them for some minutes.
- Add mince to the saucepan and then mix thoroughly.
- Cook the mince until all the flavors are well blended.
- Now add the peas and heat the mixture.
- Season for good taste before letting it cool down.
- Line pastry on the bottom of six foil pie dishes.
- Use the egg to brush the edges and bottom of the dishes.
- Evenly fill curried mince to all the six pies.
- Cut rounded top pastry for all the pies and then lightly secure their tops.
- Use an egg for brushing.
- Place the pies in a preheated oven at a temperature of 180˚C for about 25 minutes for the pastry to turn golden and puffed.
- Remove the cooked pies from the oven and serve them hot.
3. Cocktail meatballs in barbeque & pineapple sauce
This mince meat recipe explodes with a fruity taste rendering it a fun serving for any occasion. The recipe is commonly served at parties, family meals, and other celebrations.
- 1/2kg -minced beef
- 1 cup –soft breadcrumbs
- 1 medium sized –finely chopped onions
- 2 –eggs
- Sunflower oil
- 432g –pineapple crush, drained
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 cup -barbecue sauce
- 500ml -cooked brown rice
- 1 –green chopped pepper
- 2 –chopped spring onions
- Start by placing and mixing breadcrumbs, chopped onions, 2 –eggs, and minced beef in a bowl.
- Season the resulting mixture with ground black pepper and salt.
- Roll equal sized portions of the mixture to form meatballs.
- Apply and heat the oil on a non-stick pan and then cook the meatballs until they achieve a brown color.
- Discard excess fat on the pan before adding barbeque sauce and Rhodes pineapple crush. Heat them to the boiling temperature.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and gently reduce the heating for them to simmer and cook through. Simmering should take about 10 minutes.
- Take a separate pan fry green pepper with olive oil until they soften.
- Mix the rice with cooked green pepper.
- Apply some spring onions to the meatballs.
- Serve the delicacy while it is still hot.
4. Classic spaghetti bolognese
This is one of the mince recipes that are easy and quick to prepare when you are on the go. Spaghetti bolognese takes in the following spicy components.
- Sunflower oil
- 8-onions, 6-carrots, and 6-celery sticks all finely chopped
- 4Kg –beef mince
- 3.06Kg – Rhodes Tomato and Onion Mix
- 90ml finely chopped garlic
- Pepper and salt
- 65 ml mixed dried herbs
- Fry a mixture of carrots, onions, and celery sticks until you achieve a soft fragrance.
- Apply the garlic and then fry the mixture a little bit more.
- Lightly add the 4KG of beef mince.
- Add onion mix, dried mixed herbs, pepper, Rhodes tomato, and salt to flavor.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes to thicken the cooking.
5. Traditional Bobotie
This is one of the mince recipes that share good memories for its savory flavors. Traditional bobotie is a national pride not only for its sweetness but also natural ingredients.
- 2 thick crust free slices of white bread
- 1 large –chopped onion
- 1Kg –mincemeat
- 375ml –milk
- 15ml –sunflower oil
- 30ml - Rhodes apricot jam superfine
- 15ml medium -curry powder
- 125ml -raisins
- 60ml -fresh lemon juice
- 10 dried and sliced apricots
- 5ml garam masala
- 65 ml chopped almonds
- 5 ml -ground turmeric
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 eggs and 6 bay leaves
- Start by soaking bread in 250ml of milk.
- Fry onions in a large pan until you achieve the desirable fragrance and softness.
- Now add the mince.
- Drain off any fat in excess.
- Add the lemon juice, Rhodes smooth apricot jam, garam masala, and curry powder and then simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the soaked bread, almonds, apricots, and raisins.
- Season and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs and the remaining 250ml milk.
- Add turmeric and then season.
- Now pour the milk mixture to the mince and bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes.
- Serve the cooked traditional bobotie with chutney, sambals, and rice.
READ ALSO: Banting soup recipes
6. Classic Lasagna
Lasagna comes with finger licking layers of flavor.
- 2 –onions, 2 –carrots, 4 –garlic cloves, 2 celery sticks; all of them finely chopped
- 1KG –beef mince
- 45ml- olive oil
- 2 -410g cans Rhodes Tomato and Onion Mix
- Black pepper and salt
- 115g can of Rhodes Tomato Paste
- 250 ml –red wine
- 30 ml –chopped parsley
- 500 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 750 ml –white sauce
- 10 lasagna sheets
- Heat the oil, and fry the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until they soften.
- Add mince, season them, and fry them brown.
- Add the Rhodes onion and tomato mix, red wine, parsley, and Rhodes tomato paste and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Start assembling in layers starting with white sauce, lasagna sheets and then the mince sauce. Alternate the layers until all the ingredients are added. In the end, sprinkle the cheese on the top.
- Bake the ingredients at 180 °C for about 40 minutes. Remove the cooked lasagna and allow it to rest for 15 minutes after which you will serve with a fresh salad.
7. Vetkoek with curried mince
Are you looking forward to a comfortable mince recipe? Then, this is your pick. Follow our lead in the preparation of a delicious curried mince with vetkoek.
- Sunflower oil
- 5ml –salt
- 1KG –cake flour
- 10ml –sugar
- 10g –instant yeast
- 65ml –butter
- 870ml warm water
- 1 onion –finely chopped
- 1KG -beef mince
- curried mince
- 1 onion -finely chopped
- 1Kg –beef mince
- 15ml sunflower oil
- 2 -410 g curry sauce can Rhodes mixed vegetables
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Use your finger tips to rub the dry ingredients with butter.
- Apply yeast and mix properly by stirring.
- Make a soft dough using a reasonable amount of warm water.
- Take the dough and knead it to make it elastic and smooth. Leave it to rise covered with a damp cloth.
- Once it has doubled in size, divide the dough to about 30 equal sized pieces. Roll each one of them while placing them carefully on a baking sheet covered with some flour.
- Cover the pieces and leave them to rise for about half an hour.
- Heat a saucepan half filled with oil on medium flame until you notice the golden brown cooked sides.
- Use a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- In preparing curried mince, fry and soften the onions and then fry the mince as well.
- Drain any excess fat and add Rhodes Mixed Vegetables in the curry sauce.
- Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the vetkoek with curried mince while it is hot.
8. Beef mince and spinach stuffed cannelloni
This mince recipe is affordable and generally delicious to prepare for almost any occasion.
- Cannelloni 250g
- 1/4 -cup butter, 1/4 cup flour, and 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon -Olive Oil
- Pepper and Salt
- 1 -finely chopped clove garlic
- 2/3 -cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 450g -minced beef
- 1 -egg
- 1 -finely chopped onion
- 1 x 200g packet frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon -basil
- 3 cups -San Remo onion, garlic and tomato pasta sauce
- Heat the oven ahead of time to about 200 degrees Celsius.
- Melt butter in a saucepan to prepare the cheese sauce. Add flour and stir leaving it to cook for 1 minute before adding milk, a tablespoon of salt, and pepper. Continually stir the mixture until it thickens and boils. Also, stir about 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Heat the oil then fry the onion and garlic together until they soften.
- Add minced beef and stir in a mixture of egg, spinach, basil, ½ teaspoon of pepper and another ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Add one cup of cheese sauce as you mix.
- Spread 1½ tomato sauce cups into a greased baking dish.
- Fill the cannelloni with a mixture of beef.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake the uncovered ingredients until the sauce bubbles or for about 40 minutes.
9. Moroccan spiced mince
The recipe forms a part of a hearty meal with an adventurous taste.
- 500g -lamb mince
- 2 teaspoon -olive oil
- 1 medium –finely chopped brown onion
- 2-crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon –Moroccan seasoning
- 2 medium –finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon- lemon juice
- 14 cup –currants
- 2 medium tomatoes -finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon –toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoon –freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoon –toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup massel chicken style liquid stock
- Plain yoghurt and Lebanese bread rounds for serving
- Heat the oil over a medium flame and add garlic and onion to the frying pan. Cook them together until they soften.
- Increase the flame intensity to medium high and then add the mince. Carefully stir using a wooden stick for about 8 minutes to break loose the mince.
- Add the seasoning and then stir for a minute to achieve fragrance.
- Add tomato, lemon juice, stock, and currants and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now reduce the flame intensity to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes to achieve proper thickening.
- Stir through the parsley and pine nuts and serve with yoghurt and bread.
10. Basic braised mince
One good thing about this recipe is that it forms a basis for several other recipes. Find out how to cook braised mince in minutes.
- 3 tablespoon –cooking oil
- 6 -garlic cloves, and 3 onions; both finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon –chopped fresh rosemary
- 400g –tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon –freshly chopped thyme
- 1KG beef mince
- 3 -cubes of beef stock
- 1 tablespoon - Worcestershire sauce
- Heat half of the oil in high flame and then fry the garlic, herbs, and onion to a golden brown color for about 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and place the pan aside.
- Add the remaining oil into another pan and heat on a medium flame intensity. Add 1/3 of the mince and then cook it until browning or for about 5 minutes.
- Now, add the browned mince to the pan with the onions, herbs and garlic.
- Repeat the process above a couple of times with the remaining ingredients.
- Now, return the pan with vegetables and cooked mince to a medium heat. Add Worcestershire sauce and thinned tomatoes while stirring for proper mixing. Simmer the mixture.
- Use a large heatproof jug to crumble the stock cubes and add a liter of boiling water. Stir to dissolve all the stock cubes. Apply the stock to the beef and then bring it to a simmer.
- Simmer the mixture for about 1 hour while uncovered until the liquid volume subsides a little. leaving the sauce thickened.
- Braised mince is served on its own, with spaghetti or rice.
READ ALSO: Banting breakfast recipes
South Africans are tactful in coming up with and preparing mouthwatering mince recipes. The above cuisines are examples of top featured mince servings that have won the attention of many talented chefs. Home cooking mince recipes South Africa are prepared with locally available ingredients and require minimal but thorough skills. It is to elaborate that minced meat is a versatile ingredient that everyone should have in their kitchens since it offers limitless recipes when mixed with other ingredients and even veggies. Mince recipes are also easy and quick to prepare, making them a one stop choice for most dishes.