- Beyoncé Giselle Knowles, aka Queen Bey, celebrates her birthday today, 4 September
- In celebration of the renowned singer and actress, Briefly.co.za compiled a list of 7 interesting facts about Beyoncé's life
- Happy birthday Queen Bey
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles needs no introduction, but for those only stumbling out from under a rock, Queen Bey - as she is also known - is a US multi-platinum, Grammy award-winning recording artist who is acclaimed for her thrilling vocals, videos and live shows.
Briefly.co.za put together some interesting facts about Beyoncé in celebration of her 38th birthday today. Yes, she was born on 4 September, 1981 in Houston, Texas.
1. Beyoncé first captured the public’s eye as the lead vocalist of R&B group, Destiny’s Child, alongside her cousin, Kelly Rowland and two classmates.
2. She later established a solo career with her debut album, Dangerously In Love becoming one of the music’s top-selling artists with sold-out tours and a string of five Grammy awards. In 2013, she released her fifth studio album, self-titled Beyoncé and performed twice at the Super Bowl. She released her sixth studio album, Lemonade in 2016, and two years later dropped a joint album with Jay-Z called Everything Is Love while both were on tour together.
3. Beyoncé also holds an acting career and has starred in several films including Dream Girls, Pink Panther, Austin Powers, and of late, The Lion King.
4. She married hip-hop recording artist, Jay-Z, in a small, private ceremony in New York City in 2008. Among the guests were Beyoncé's mother, Tina Knowles, her father and manager, Matthew Knowles, her sister, Solange, Destiny Child members, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, and her friend, Gwyneth Paltrow.
5. In 2017, Queen Bey was named the highest-earning female musician of the year. According to Forbes, Beyoncé snagged $150 million in pretax income in June 2016 through to June 2017. She outpaced the earnings of fellow divas, Adele ($69 million) and Taylor Swift ($44 million). Forbes attributed the windfall to the singer’s success of her album Lemonade and her Formation World Tour.
6. Beyoncé and Jay-Z welcomed their first child, Blue Ivy Carter on 7 January, 2012. The couple then welcomed their twins, a boy and a girl in June 2017. They later filed trademark documents at the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the names Sir and Rumi.
7. The latest Beyoncé news to hit media was this July, when the star featured as Nala in the premiere of The Lion King. She voiced the childhood friend-turned-love-interest of Simba, voiced by Danny Glover. Beyoncé also curated and produced a companion album for the production, titled The Lion King: The Gift and released the single, Spirit, around the time of the film’s release.
In other news, about a month ago, Briefly.co.za reported that it's official, Destiny's Child members are planning on reuniting for a 20th anniversary tour in 2020!
If you grew up in the 90's and early 2000's, then you probably had a partial aneurysm when you heard the news. If you didn’t know, Destiny’s Child is made up of the Queen herself, Beyoncé Knowles, Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland.
Destiny’s Child created the force that is Queen Bey, and that alone says enough.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!