- The global pandemic affected the lives of many with the virus taking lives across the globe
- However, many people passed on from other causes not related to Covid-19
- Briefly.co.za compiled a list of 14 famous South Africans who sadly passed away in 2020
2020 was a year packed with mourning. Whether it was Covid-19 related deaths or other reasons, South Africans have mourned many people.
Last year South Africans lost the legendary Mary Twala, soccer star Anele Ngcongca and musician Mshoza, to name a few. King Goodwill Zwelithini, of the Zulu nation, lost his brother Prince Mandla as well as his eldest son Prince Lethukuthula Zulu.
South Africans were also introduced to Gee Six Five last year who gave us the amapiano hit, Obani Labanbantu before sadly passing away. Briefly.co.za takes a look at the famous South Africans who sadly passed on in 2020.
1. Former Uzalo and Rhythm City actor Sipho Ngema reportedly passed away in a Johannesburg hospital from heart failure.
2. DJ and dancer Vusi “Papers 707" Mabuza passed away unexpectedly at the age of 42. He was admitted to hospital for gout before his passing.
3. Prince Mandla, brother of King Goodwill Zwelithini passed away at 45. President Cyril Ramaphosa was one of the first to send his condolences to the King, the royal household and the people of KwaZulu-Natal.
4. The King faced more heartache after his eldest son Prince Lethukuthula Zulu passed away. The prime minister to the King, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, informed the King of his son's passing.
6. Former Mamelodi Sundowns defender Anele Ngcongca passed on after being involved in a horrific car crash in KwaZulu-Natal. He was 33.
7. Orlando Pirates chairman Irvin Khoza's wife Mme Matina Elsie Khoza died at the age of 69 after battling with ill health for the past several years.
8. Imbewu: The Seed actor Jòvan Muthray passed away at the age of 30.
10. Muvhango actor Arthur Mbambo passed away after being in hospital for two weeks.
11. Auditor-General Kimi Makwetu passed on in hospital following a diagnoses of stage four lung cancer in 2018.
13. Amapiano sensation Gee Six Five sadly passed away at the age of 65. The news of her passing was confirmed by her niece, who released a short statement on social media.
14. Mamelodi Sundowns defender Motjeka Madisha tragically passed away in a car accident at the age of 25.
Briefly.co.za just recently reported on the passing of Dr Tumi's father. Dr Tumi took to Facebook to share the devasting news with his fans:
"So sad to announce about the passing of my dear dad. He was such a beautiful gift to our family and the body of Christ. So humbled and honoured for the years God blessed me with him in my life," said Dr Tumi.
He said that it was a huge honour to be called his son and one of his greatest gifts was to be raised by his dad. Dr Tumi added that it was a difficult time for his family and he will sorely miss his father.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!