Billionaire Patrice Motsepe Has Been Cleared to Run for CAF Presidency

Billionaire Patrice Motsepe Has Been Cleared to Run for CAF Presidency

- FIFA has just announced that South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe has been given the go-ahead to run for CAF presidency

- It was earlier decided that Motsepe undergo further integrity checks before he was allowed to take part in the elections

- This surely comes as a relief for SAFA after the association had nominated Motsepe for the position last year

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

South African Billionaire and mining mogul Patrice Motsepe has been cleared by FIFA to run for the presidency. The Mamelodi Sundowns club owner was nominated by SAFA for the position after it became open last year.

Not too long thereafter, FIFA had suspended Motsepe's candidacy after reportedly needing to do further integrity checks for Motsepe before he could be added to the list of viable candidates.

FIFA has since sent a confirmation email to Motsepe revealing that he has been deemed an eligible candidate for the CAF presidency also adding that he also qualifies for the FIFA Vice-Presidency.

Mzansi reacts as Lorch's assault charges get provisionally withdrawn
“We kindly inform you that the Review Committee (FIFA) has declared you eligible for the position of CAF President and FIFA vice-president,” said FIFA chairman of the Review Committee Mukul Mudgaal via an e-mail addressed to Motsepe on Tuesday, reports a Sunday World article.

The news has been welcomed by SAFA who previously expressed grievance at FIFA's decision to do further investigation into Motsepe's "integrity". According to SAFA, the probe had come across as a sign of foul play in the elections for the CAF presidency role.

Meanwhile, locals have had this to say:

@JonGericke said:

"In what way did SAFA get a boost?"

@gamfaya said:

"It's good for African football especially South African football teams who always receive inhumane reception in most African countries."

@ngubane_1 said:

"Dr Patrice Motsepe is on a league of his own to be honest in all the areas that CAF need improvement on, no disrespect to other candidates, but the man is solo."
Cassper Nyovest: SAMAs responds to rapper’s accusations of corruption

@Tabanator said:

"Over and above his credentials personally as a businessman and running of the club, my former boss needs a formidable campaign team that understands issues beyond football administration. These include diplomatic kills, strategy nd Organizational growth."
Billionaire Patrice Motsepe Has Been Cleared to Run for CAF Presidency

Patrice Motsepe is back in the running for CAF presidency.
Source: Getty Images

Briefly.co.za previously reported that 58-year-old South African billionaire and owner of Mamelodi Sundowns football club, Patrice Motsepe has just been revealed as one of the candidates running for the Confederation of African Football (CAF) presidential role.

The current president of the CAF, Ahmed Ahmed will also be rerunning for the role despite having been implicated in a number of financial irregularities discovered during an audit of CAF in recent years. Also in the running is Jacques Anouma who was endorsed by Ivorian Football Federation (FIF.)

Meanwhile, hundreds of intrigued South Africans have shared their thoughts on Motsepe's decision to run for the CAF presidency online. Many of them all for the idea.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel