- Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter says he supports the investigation into the allegations of racism against him
- De Ruyter spoke about corruption, racism and sexism within Eskom and how these would not be tolerated
- De Ruyter also said that there are many people who can attest to the fact that he is not racist
Eskom boss Andre de Ruyter says he will cooperate fully with the investigations into his alleged racism. De Ruyter spoke on Monday, 15 March about the state of the embattled power utility. The CEO added that he will not tolerate corruption.
De Ruyter stated that the probe into the allegations of racism is welcome as both sexism and racism have 'no place' at Eskom. De Ruyter also stated that there are many people who could attest to the fact that he is not racist.
The power utility's CEO spoke more on the allegations about racism by stating there was no evidence to support it.
Speaking to 702FM, De Ruyter stated that the people who can attest to the fact that he is not racist are from inside and outside Eskom. EWN reported that De Ruyter said the probe would not only get to the bottom of the issue but also beyond the alleged offences.
Eskom's board of directors previously gave the green light for an investigation to be launched. Reports say there have been allegations of racism made against De Ruyter.
Through a statement, Eskom revealed that the board would be appointing an independent senior counsel to conduct the investigation into De Ruyter. De Ruyter has been accused of trying to get rid of black suppliers to introduce white suppliers.
Suspended Eskom Chief Procurement Officer Solly Tshitangano had made an array of allegations against him.
Briefly.co.za reported on Eskom after De Ruyter stated that the country may go through winter without a stable electricity supply. De Ruyter said it was undesirable that load-shedding is still being implemented today.
However, Eskom chief operating officer Jan Oberholzer stated that the embattled power utility might only see an increase in stability around September. If September is the projected time, the country may have to go through the winter months with power cuts.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!