- Tokyo Sexwale laid allegations that billions had been looted from a fund set up to help fight Covid-19 and assist the poor
- The National Treasury released a statement rubbishing Sexwale's statement and claimed that no such fund existed
- Social media users took to the internet to share their theories about Sexwale's allegations
A social media storm has erupted over allegations levelled by veteran ANC member Toky Sexwale that billions had been looted from a fund that was set up to combat Covid-19 and assist the poor.
However, the National Treasury released a statement on social media rubbishing the claims made by Sexwale.
Sexwale spoke on the eNCA's talk show Truth to Power in which he claimed that he and a prominent South African family had been able to raise billions.
Sexwale claimed that he and another person whom he did not name had been able to get the money from a single individual who now wanted to know where the money was.
The National Treasury said that no such account exists or had ever existed and claims about non-existent money were not valid. The Treasury invited Sexwale or anyone else to come forward with any proof to substantiate their claims.
Minister of Finance Tito Mboweni also took to social media to rubbish Sexwale's claims.
"Mr Tokyo Sexwale’s statement about stolen money is untrue, sad and seems that he was a victim of the many scams abound. You cannot steal transmitted money from the central bank. How? His statement on television was unfortunate. Will reach out to him."
Social media users took to the internet to share their wild conspiracy theories:
"Lol Tokyo didnt start last night to throw President @CyrilRamaphosa under the bus on live television, he says “Nasrec was a shocker” #TokyoSexwale"
"Tokyo has just caused Sphithiphithi in the country. Cyril is already bleeding through the wound with calls mounting for him to step aside. Tokyo said something that is correct, he said if there is no wrongdoing in the CR17 CR must just unseal & be at peace. He must call the bluff."
"So Tokyo Sexwale was scammed by Nigerian scams of unclaimed trillions waiting for him he should have just asked us we get those scams every day and we ignore them, I just hope he didn't pay millions in order to access that money."
Earlier, Briefly News reported that Mbuyiselo Stemela, the State Capture Commission spokesperson, confirmed that Monday's hearings will not be impacted by the break-in that occurred over the weekend at the Commission’s offices in Parktown, Johannesburg.
The break-in resulted in the theft of two laptops from different floors of the building.
Itumeleng Mosala, the Commission’s Secretary, expressed concern over the idea that the Commission was being targeted as the burglary was not the first incident.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!