Indonesian Sub Sinks and Hope Fades After Oxygen Supply Deadline Expires

Indonesian Sub Sinks and Hope Fades After Oxygen Supply Deadline Expires

- An Indonesian submarine went missing on Thursday 22 April off the coast of Bali

- The submarine had a three-day oxygen supply which ran out on Saturday morning

- Hopes are starting to fade after the international search team failed to find the submarine which has been declared sunk

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see News on your News Feed!

KRI Nanggala 402 dropped off the sonar three days ago after going missing off the coast of Bali. The status of the submarine has officially been changed from missing to sunk.

If the sub were stuck underwater the crew's three-day oxygen supply would have run out in the early hours of Saturday.

This leaves very little hope that the 53 crew members are still alive. The mission has gone from rescue to recovery.

Indonesian sub sinks and hope fades after oxygen supply deadline ends
The search KRI Nanggala 402 has changed from a rescue mission to one of recovery after the oxygen deadline expired Photo credit: Sonny Tumbelaka/AFP, Alex Widojo/Anadolu Agency
Source: Getty Images

Admiral Yudo Margono revealed that rescues have found some items from the submarine, parts of a torpedo straightener, a grease bottle and prayer rugs.

Read also

DoE Struggling to Retrieve 55k Tablets 'Lent' to Grade 12 Learners

A frantic search was launched for the sub. Hundreds of military personal took part in the search which included helicopters and ships.

The German-built submarine was equipped with a three-day emergency supply of oxygen which would be used in the event of a power failure.


"KRI Nanggala 402 is now on Eternal Patrol. Fair wind and following seas, sailors! Thank you for your service. May God bless all of their soul and rest in peace."

The search effort soon became an international operation as the US, Australia, India, Malaysia and Singapore joined in.

Earlier Briefly News reported that Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737-500 dropped off the radar earlier this year after taking off from Soekarno-Hatta international airport with 62 passengers on board.

Four minutes after takeoff the plane disappeared off the radar and rescue teams had been mobilised to search for the missing aircraft.

A military vessel received a signal from the downed plane on Sunday and divers were sent down to investigate and they made a grizzly discovery.

Read also

Elephants that disappeared from Ghana in 2005 spotted returning in 2021 in video

In other news, players in the aviation sector across the world have a reason to smile following clearance of the troubled Boeing 737 MAX planes to return to service.

US-based regulator, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), announced it had issued an order that paves the way for the fleet to return to the skies.

Steve Dickson, the FAA Administrator, said airlines are required to show proof of training pilots and servicing aircraft before flying.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!


Online view pixel