South Africans Weigh in on Santaco's End of Taxi Strike and Resumption of Services

South Africans Weigh in on Santaco's End of Taxi Strike and Resumption of Services

  • The South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) confirmed that the two-day taxi strike is over
  • Santaco said that it will continue to engage with the government over the issue of the impounding of their taxi vehicles
  • Santaco extended its sincere apologies to all commuters who were left stranded

Santaco confirmed that taxi operations in Ekurhuleni have resumed after a two-day strike. Taxi operations have resumed while Santaco’s leadership continues to engage with the government regarding the impounding of their vehicles.

Commuters voice concerns over the strike's impact and the ongoing issues with vehicle impounding
South Africans express frustration after Santaco ends the two-day taxi strike. Image: PHILL MAGAKOE/AFP via Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

What did Santaco say?

The South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) in Ekurhuleni announced that all taxi operations have resumed after the temporary suspension of services. Santaco’s Ekurhuleni secretary, Zweli Mnisi, extended his apologies to all commuters who were left stranded, acknowledging the inconvenience caused and stressing that the decision had not been taken lightly.

Mnisi explained that the halt had been necessary in response to the continued impoundments of taxi vehicles by government authorities. He noted that it takes unreasonably long to issue operating licenses and face persistent backlogs that remain unresolved.

Read also

Western Cape government secures court interdict to end taxi violence, SA shares mixed reactions

PAY ATTENTION: Briefly News is now on YouTube! Check out our interviews on Briefly TV Life now!

He said operators have been forced to bear significant financial losses, not only from repeated impoundments but also due to the excessive release fees demanded. He said that the current system does not allow these tickets to be fairly challenged in a court of law, leaving operators without proper recourse.

Commuters left stranded

Commuters in Ekurhuleni, especially in Katlehong and Germiston, were left stranded on Thursday and Friday after taxi operators went on strike in protest against the impoundment of their vehicles by government authorities.

Mnisi said on Thursday that the difficult decision was driven by the ongoing targeting of vehicles, particularly the 10-seater “baby buses,” which are repeatedly impounded for not having operating licenses.

He said that the relevant authorities are no longer issuing these licenses, leaving operators without any legal recourse. As a result, taxi operators are forced to pay hefty fines of up to R5,000 per vehicle to retrieve them.

Read also

“This is beautiful”: SA raves over Eastgate taxi rank, impressed by its neatness and organisation

South Africans share their thoughts as Santaco ends the two-day taxi strike
Commuters voice concerns over the strike's impact and the ongoing issues with vehicle impounding. Image: LUCA SOLA/AFP via Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

What did South Africans say?

Social media users shared their opinions regarding the taxi strike.

@Tederov_Bravlov said:

"We need bus services to be re introduced, and get trains running, we can’t be held hostage by people with backward mentality who don’t what to develop or be innovative."

@Nwayitel0 said:

"Bolt and Uber will be scooping money tomorrow."

@TSORR1 said:

"I am hoping SA's will make you feel pain. You have it backwards, you are nothing. You should offer a service to a customer. If the service is good they support you if not they go elsewhere. This world owes us a favour attitude is what needs to go."

@QueenBadegg said:

"The arrogance of these people."

@nottokollo said:

"The taxi industry is a mafia operation. This is extortion. Legitimate business doesn't operate like this."

Cape Town taxi violence leaves 2 drivers dead

In another report, Briefly News, a shooting at the Macassar Taxi Rank in Cape Town has left two drivers dead and one passenger injured.

Read also

Gauteng DA unhappy with Panyaza Lesufi, Solly Msimanga demands action from Premier over rising crime

The shooting is believed to be linked to ongoing tensions between two rival taxi associations in Cape Town. The shooting comes a day after three people were killed in two separate shootings at other taxi ranks.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Justin Williams avatar

Justin Williams (Editorial Assistant) Justin Williams is a multimedia journalist who recently completed his Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Film & Multimedia Production and English Literary Studies from the University of Cape Town. He is a former writer and chief editor at Right for Education Africa: South African chapter. You can contact Justin at justin.williams@briefly.co.za