Ad Hoc Committee Considers Approaching Madlanga Commission for Documents, Citizens Unimpressed

Ad Hoc Committee Considers Approaching Madlanga Commission for Documents, Citizens Unimpressed

  • Parliament's Ad Hoc Committee is currently compiling its preliminary report on criminal infiltration and corruption in the justice system
  • Chairperson Soviet Lekganyane discussed whether the Committee could reach out to the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry for assistance
  • South Africans took to social media to weigh in on the Committee's stance, but many were not impressed by its change in attitude
The Ad Hoc Committee has confirmed it could approach the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry for assistance
The Ad Hoc Committee has confirmed it could approach the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry for certain documents. Image: Phill Magakoe (Getty Images)/ @ANCParliament (X)
Source: UGC

Byron Pillay, a Briefly News journalist, has dedicated a decade to reporting on the South African political landscape, crime, and social issues. He worked as a newspaper journalist for 10 years before transitioning to online.

WESTERN CAPE – Parliament’s Ad Hoc Committee has not ruled out approaching the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry for certain documents as it finalises its preliminary report.

This was confirmed by chairperson, Soviet Lekganyane, on Monday, 17 August 2026. Lekganyane has addressed the possibility of the two bodies sharing information, signalling a shift in the committee's posture toward the commission.

Read also

Kere Nyawo’s views on foreigners taking SA jobs resurface; Mzansi reacts

Ad Hoc Committee's position on Commission documents

Lekganyane said the Committee's immediate focus remains on material it has already gathered but acknowledged it cannot ignore proceedings that unfolded at the Madlanga Commission.

PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.

"What we should do is to restrict ourselves to what we have gathered. Maybe at the end, when we send out the report to the witnesses, because we cannot pretend to be oblivious to what is happening or has happened at the Commission.
“So, in case there are witnesses that may have to respond to certain information that would have appeared at the commission, and there is a need for the committee to request the commission to share certain documents with us, the committee can always arrive at any decision that the committee feels," Lekganyane said.

How did South Africans react to the announcement

The statement drew a wave of criticism on social media, with many users questioning the committee's consistency after it had previously positioned itself as independent from the Madlanga Commission.

Read also

EFF wants Ad Hoc Committee report to show ‘collective’ decision not to call General Khan

Moafrika Sekhukhune wrote:

"No, they should make their own findings without getting anything from Madlanga, as they said they have more power than Madlanga. I want to see something when the Madlanga report finally comes out."

Phindiswa Meka questioned the reversal, saying:

"They never wanted to be associated with the Madlanga Commission; why now? They were acting superior, undermining the Madlanga Commission."

Mlu Lex Nontwana was more scathing:

"So, they wasted our tax money pretending in that Ad Hoc, only to wait for the Madlanga Commission to do a job for them."

Paul Light offered a contrasting view, suggesting:

"The Ad Hoc Committee must appear before the Madlanga Commission."

Other stories about the Committee's draft report

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Byron Pillay avatar

Byron Pillay (Current Affairs Editor) Byron Pillay is a Current Affairs Editor at Briefly News. He received a Diploma in Journalism from the Caxton Cadet School. He spent 15 years covering politics, crime and current affairs. He was also the Head of Department for Sports Brief, where he covered both local and international sporting news. Email: byron.pillay@briefly.co.za