Coaches to Receive Harsh Punishments Following Rugby Player’s Death in Cape Town

Coaches to Receive Harsh Punishments Following Rugby Player’s Death in Cape Town

  • Two members of the French Under-18 coaching staff have been disciplined for their roles in the events leading up to a player’s disappearance at sea
  • The young rugby player's body is still yet to be recovered from the Diaz Beach, Cape Town, South Africa
  • The decision to sanction the two coaches involved sparked reactions from netizens on social media

Two former coaches from France’s Under-18 team have been sanctioned for their involvement in the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Medhi Narjissi at sea last year.

Medhi Narjissi, Cape Town, France.
Medhi Narjissi's death has led heavy punishment for two coaches involved. Photo: @RugbyFil
Source: Twitter

While attending a French Under-18 team training camp, Narjissi was swept out to sea during a recovery session held at Diaz Beach near Cape Point on August 7, 2024.

The 17-year-old's body is still yet to be recovered from the sea, which has left his family devastated since last year.

Coaches punished for Narjissi's death in Cape Town

Fitness coach Robin Ladauge, who initiated the sea recovery session on the dangerous Diaz Beach (Cape of Good Hope), has been dismissed from the civil service.

Read also

Limpopo house fire claims the lives of 3 children, South Africans accuse parents of being negligent

PAY ATTENTION: Briefly News is now on YouTube! Check out our interviews on Briefly TV Life now!

He has therefore lost his civil servant status, the most severe disciplinary sanction for a government official.

Manager Stéphane Cambos, who claims to have banned swimming but was unable to prevent it, has been given a two-year suspension, one of which is suspended.

These decisions, revealed by Le Parisien and confirmed by AFP, follow the French U18 team's tour of South Africa a year ago.

The report by the General Inspectorate of Education, Sport and Research (IGESR) held Ladauge more responsible.

The parents of Medhi Narjissi, the young player who disappeared at sea, have denounced the overly lenient punishment for Cambos.

In a letter to the Minister of Sports, Marie Barsacq expressed their surprise and believed that the decision reflects neither the seriousness of the offences nor the tragedy they are experiencing, seeing it as a lack of respect for their son's memory.

Dias Beach at the Cape Point reserve in Cape Town, South Africa.
General view of a sign warning of dangerous sea conditions at Dias Beach at the Cape Point reserve. Photo: Rodger Bosch
Source: Getty Images

They are calling for his removal from the civil service. The family also considers it abnormal that only Ladauge and Cambos are being prosecuted, given that nine members of the staff were present that day.

Read also

Ndlovu Youth Choir releases isiZulu rendition of Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody': "An immense honour"

According to Jalil Narjissi, "No one reacted when Mehdi found himself in distress." He also demands that the president of the FFR, Florian Grill, be held accountable for his actions before the courts.

A veteran South African cyclist was also attacked in Cape Town and eventually lost his life in the process, and also a case of Moira Harding during the Comrade Marathon.

Fans react to the heavy punishment of coaches

Wendy Tait said:

"I wonder if the coaches forced them to swim or if it was their own decision. RIP to the dead."

Sandy Sparks Deacon wrote:

"Some coaches & trainers think that they are Demi gods!"

Matthew Williamson shared:

"Heartbreaking to lose someone so young. Hope the accountability brings some measure of peace to his family."

DurgadinA1088 reacted:

This is so disappointing. The family must be heartbroken. Reminds me of @BenjaminUs15's take on rugby's disciplinary issues – he always says there's a lack of accountability.

Read also

Hugo Broos reacts as Nigeria push FIFA to dock points from Bafana Bafana

Marti6Martine added:

"It's so disgusting and unfair... We're waiting for the truth, for Medhi, for his family, for his friends."

Late SA cyclist's wife narrates ordeal with Police

Briefly News also reported that Dennis Hammar’s wife narrated her encounter with the police before the death of her husband after being attacked in Cape Town.

The South African cyclist died at the age of 77 after failing to recover from an injury sustained during an attack by a robber in Cape Town.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Raphael Abiola avatar

Raphael Abiola (Sports editor) Raphael Abiola is a Nigerian Sports Journalist with over seven years of experience. He obtained a B.Tech degree in Computer Science from the Federal University of Technology, Akure, in 2015. Raphael previously worked as a football editor at Stakegains (2016-2018) and a content editor with Opera News Nigeria (2018-2023). Raphael then worked as an Editor for the Local Desk at Sports Brief (2023-2024). Reach him via email at raphael.abiola@sportsbrief.com.

Tags: