- Retired footballer Chris Kamara has come to the defence of Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, saying he went through a lot in his childhood
- Kamara argues that those who feel Harry is a disgrace following the video trailer on Oprah Winfrey’s documentary must think twice
Football legend Chris Kamara has come out to defend the Duke of Sussex, Prince Harry, saying he is not a disgrace.
This comes after many have branded Prince Harry a "disgrace" following the trailer for his upcoming mental health documentary with United States' television star Oprah Winfrey, which included a solemn clip of him walking behind his late mum Princess Diana's coffin back in 1997.
Kamara, 63, has defended the 36-year-old over the criticism surrounding his forthcoming documentary and the retired footballer, also known as Kammy, spoke out on the trailer for the film during a discussion on Steph McGovern’s Channel 4 show.
On the other hand, criticism aimed at Harry comes after recounting his negative experiences in the Royal Family alongside his wife Meghan Markle after they quit their roles as Senior Royals and moved to to the US. Kamara said, as quoted by Express:
“Well, we don’t know what Harry’s gone through, do we? A 12-year-old, asking him to walk behind his mum’s coffin to the eyes of the world. What sort of scars, mental scars, that could have when he’s in the institution or The Firm, as it’s called. He doesn’t say a word. When he’s come out of that institution, he’s opened up, he’s said things.”
On his remarks on whether Harry is a disgrace or not, the football pundit with Sky Sports added his views: Kamara continued:
“People are saying it’s a joke, it’s a disgrace. But for him it’s letting out all those feelings - so I don’t mind it. I said to you Steph, his dad, Prince Charles, never got involved in all the stuff earlier on.
“And I think he’s holding problems from his dad and his mum, his mum dying, him [Charles] going off to be with someone else. All those sorts of things that he couldn’t say when he was in the Royal Family, now he can say it.”
In other reports, the Daily Express also ran the story on Kamara fully backing the Duke of Sussex as he spoke on Steph’s Packed Lunch on Tuesday afternoon.
Meanwhile, Briefly News reported that Harry recently opened up about why he made the decision to move from England to the US. According to Harry, it was the best choice he could make in his quest to break the cycle of family pain.
The prince also said that he realised that his dad treated him the way he was treated by his father and so a toxic cycle was born, and although he does not blame his dad for anything - he is determined to raise his son Archie and unborn daughter differently.
"When it comes to parenting, if I've experienced some form of pain or suffering because of the pain or suffering that perhaps my father or my parents had suffered, I'm going to make sure that I break that cycle," said Harry in a podcast interview with 'Armchair Expert' Dax Shaphard.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!