Gwede Mantashe Backs Zweli Mkhize, Says Resignation Would Be an 'Occupational Hazard'

Gwede Mantashe Backs Zweli Mkhize, Says Resignation Would Be an 'Occupational Hazard'

- ANC National Chairperson Gwede Mantashe has backed Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize amid corruption allegations

- Mantashe discussed the calls for Mkhize to step aside during the SIU probe into the allegations of corruption involving the minister's associates

- Mantashe described the situation as an "occupational hazard", adding that investigations needed to be completed and action taken

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

African National Congress (ANC) National Chairperson Gwede Mantashe said that calls for Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize to step aside during the Special Investigation Unit's (SIU) probe were an 'occupational hazard'.

Mantashe stated that those who are making the calls should allow the SIU to complete its investigation into the allegations. Mantashe added that when the truth comes out, action needs to be taken.

The Chairperson had been speaking during a remote online lecture which was hosted by the ruling party in the Eastern Cape on the evening of Thursday, 27 May.

Read also

Edward Zuma says he doesn't trust the Judiciary system, Mzansi has mixed reactions

Gwede Mantashe, Mkhize, calls to resign, occupational hazard
Gwede Mantashe recently stated that calls for Zweli Mkhize to step down are an ‘occupational hazard’. Brenton Geach/Gallo Images and PHILL MAGAKOE/POOL/AFP
Source: Getty Images

According to EWN, there has been an influx of calls for Mkhize to step aside due to the multi-million-rand contract awarded to Digital Vibes - a business that is allegedly linked to associates of Mkhize.

JacarandaFM reported that the Democratic Alliance (DA) is also calling for Mkhize to step aside. A report stated that Mantashe spoke about listening to John Steenhuisen's words. He said that if one had to listen to Steenhuisen every time he called for someone's axing, there'd be no one left.

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel

Previously, Briefly News reported that the organisation AfriForum requested that Minister of Health Dr Zweli Mkhize step aside while the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) continues its probe into the issues surrounding the minister and an alleged contract given to his associates.

AfriForum stated that it had sent a complaint to the Public Protector on Tuesday, 25 March, asking for Mkhize to step aside during the investigation. Reports say that at the beginning of the week, the Health Department revealed that there were irregularities found in the contract awarded to Digital Vibes.

Read also

Dali Mpofu represents Jacob Zuma SA says "You can't trust EFF people"

The R82 million contract is still under investigation by the SIU. AfriForum is not the only organisation calling Mkhize out. The South African Council of Churches (SACC) also noted that the contract had pointed to abuse of public funds.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel