- A 42-year-old Pretoria woman is suing Gold Reef City theme park for roughly R3.6 million after sustaining serious injuries while on one of their attractions
- Candis Goodwin shattered her left shin bone when her leg got stuck while riding the Anaconda during a team-building excursion last year
- Management has denied any responsibility for the horrific incident, instead blaming the woman for not taking proper precautions
A Joburg north woman is suing Gold Reef City theme-park management after an injury she sustained on the iconic 'Anaconda' ride last year.
She is blaming the theme park owners for the accident and is claiming R3.6 million from Gold Reef City Theme Park Pty LT.
According to a previous report by IOL, Candis Goodwin, 42, said in a summons issued in the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, that she shattered her left shin bone while she was riding on the Anaconda last year during a team-building outing with her colleagues.
According to UK Time News, on the day of the incident in January last year, Goodwin once again rode the Anaconda, which she had described as one of her favourite attractions.
Things took a turn for the worse, she said, when the Anaconda climbed up the steep hill and her leg got stuck in the seat in front of her.
She was unable to remove her leg for the duration of the ride, sustaining multiple knee fractures. Its reported that Goodwin may even need a knee replacement.
Opposition to the request
The company has denied that the incident ever happened. Asked about the matter, they've said that if the court found that there had been such an incident, then Goodwin contributed to it, among other things, by not staying in a safe position.
In some other news about accidental injuries, Briefly News previously reported that in what is believed to have been crossfire from his own camp, a South African soldier serving in a UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo was killed.
The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) stated on Thursday that one of its soldiers serving in the Democratic Republic of the Congo was killed “in friendly fire” while on patrol in Kilia in the eastern DRC on Thursday morning, according to TimesLIVE.
“Details of this unfortunate incident are still sketchy and a board of inquiry has been convened to investigate. The identity of the deceased will be confirmed once the SANDF has formally informed the family," said SANDF spokesperson Brigadier-General Mafi Mgobozi.
Condolences to the family
According to a report by News24, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, her deputy Thabang Makwetla, Secretary for Defence Sonto Kudjoe and SANDF Commander General Rudzani Maphwanya have all expressed their condolences to the deceased soldier's family, friends and loved ones.
President Cyril Ramaphosa announced to Parliament in early 2020 that the 1 165 SANDF personnel now stationed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo would be deployed for another year as part of the UN Stabilization Mission in the DRC (MONUSCO).
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!