- Local power utility Eskom has just announced the implementation of Stage 2 loadshedding, taking to its Twitter account to share the news
- The cause of the power cuts is apparently a lack of working power stations as well as an increased strain on systems due to this chilly winter season
- Of course, Mzansi was not having it and took to the comments section to give Eskom a piece of their minds
Eskom will be implementing Stage 2 loadshedding from 10am on Wednesday morning until 10pm on Sunday evening. That's according to the struggling power utility's official Twitter page.
Cause of loadshedding
The company has cited a few non-functioning generators as the cause for the power cuts as well as strain put on its system due to increased demand for electricity during this chilly winter period.
Social media reactions
Naturally, social media users were not impressed by the news and took to the comments section to air their grievances. Many criticised the power utility's inability to properly manage funds while others simply served a little piece of their minds.
Check out the comments below:
"Yoh huh-uh voetsek!"
"What happens to a car that you drive 24 hours a day and don't service?"
"You lot are clowning there by Eskom, f***** useless people."
"Basically, Eskom can't generate electricity now, just tell us straight. The reasons given for loadsheding always change, when in summer there's a strain on the grid and also when in winter there's a strain on the grid. It's almost certain that there's no plan to stop loadshedding."
More on Eskom
In more news about the embattled power utility, Briefly News previously reported that Eskom CEO André de Ruyter released a public 'apology' for the issues faced by South Africans in terms of loadshedding. Stage 2 loadshedding was implemented earlier this week and is expected to conclude on Friday, 4 May.
Reports have revealed that the power utility made the situation for many Saffas worse as unscheduled power cuts occurred in many parts of the country. There have also been cases of power not returning at the end of the scheduled time.
De Ruyter stated that while loadshedding has been going on for over 15 years, there are a number of issues that have caused the regular power cuts. He explained that one of the reasons is a lack of maintenance dating back to the apartheid regime.
André de Ruyter has apologised for loadshedding in SA and has made mention of the lack of maintenance during Apartheid.
Power cuts reportedly expected
According to TimesLIVE, De Ruyter stated that the power cuts were not unexpected. De Ruyter said that Eskom is working hard to catch up on maintenance that had been deferred over the past few years.
De Ruyter said that although he only took the role over in January 2020, he has communicated that while the reliability recovery programme is going on there would be an increased risk of loadshedding due to the maintenance.
More capacity needed
EWN reported that De Ruyter stated that more capacity is needed on the grid. He quoted President Cyril Ramaphosa's State of the Nation Address in February where the president said an estimated 4 000 to 6 000 megawatts of additional generation capacity needed to be added to the grid.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!