David Caruso is a Golden Globe award-winning American actor who doubles up as a producer. He is popularly known for appearing in crime television series. For instance, he portrayed Detective John Kelly in NYPD Blue, Lieutenant Horatio Cane in CSI: Miami, and Officer Frank Sordoni in H.E.L.P. What else can you tell about this extraordinarily gifted actor?
In 2012, Caruso retired from acting after the cancellation of CSI Miami. Since then, he has not appeared in any other project. Undoubtedly, his early retirement from the scene continues to bother many of his fans, who hope that he might make a return to TV someday.
David Caruso profile summary
- Birth name: David Stephen Caruso
- Nickname: Dave
- Date of birth: 7th January 1956
- Place of birth: Forest Hills, Queens, New York
- Age: 65 years old (as of 2021)
- Kids: Greta Caruso, Paloma Raquel, and Marquez Anthony Caruso
- Marital status: Divorced
- Height: 6' (1.83 m)
- Occupation: Actor, producer
- Years active: 1976 – 2012
- Nationality: American
David Caruso bio
David Stephen Caruso was born on 7th January 1956 in Forest Hills, Queens, New York, in the US. He is the son of Charles Caruso, an editor, and Joan Caruso, a librarian. Sadly, he had a somewhat challenging childhood after the separation of his parents.
Caruso was brought up in a religious background. His mother raised him alongside one known sibling, a sister by the name Joyce Caruso. How did he find his way into the entertainment scene, though?
After graduating, he landed a cinema usher job. His experience at the theatre inspired him to pursue acting. Most of the time, he watched up to 80 movies in a week. He looked up to such actors as Edward G. Robinson, Humphrey Bogart, and James Cagney during the time.
How old is David Caruso?
As of 2021, David Caruso age is 65. He recently turned a year older, considering he celebrates his birthdays on 7th January.
The CSI: Miami star had an illustrious television career that lasted for more than three decades. He appeared in a considerable number of high-grossing TV shows and movies.
Caruso rose to stardom in the early 1980s; after securing a significant role in Hill Street Blues, NBC’s hit serial police procedural TV show. He ended up appearing in seven episodes as Shamrock/Tommy Mann. However, his first TV appearance took place in 1976 when he appeared as Bellboy in Ryan’s Hope (1976).
David Caruso TV shows
The actor appeared in several TV shows before his early retirement in 2012. In most TV shows, he played detective roles. Below is a comprehensive list of some of the popular ones:
- Ryan’s Hope (1976) as Bellboy
- Palmerstown, U.S.A (1981) as Donnie Muller
- ChiPs (1983) as Charlie
- T.J Hooker (1983) as Russ Jennings
- The Paper Chase (1983) as Bennet
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2002) as Horatio Caine
- For Love and Honor (1983) as Pvt. Rusty Burger
- NYPD Blue (1993 – 1994) as Detective John Kelly
- Crime Story (1986 – 1988) as Johnny O'Donnell / Johnny O'Donnel
- H.E.L.P (1990) as Officer Frank Sordoni
- Michael Hayes (1997 – 1998) as Michael Hayes
- CSI: NY (2005) as Horatio Caine
- CSI: Miami (2002 – 2012) as Horatio Caine
The 65-year-old also tried his luck in the film industry a few times. Below is a list of David Caruso movies:
- Getting Wasted (1980) as Danny
- Without Warning (1980) as Tom
- Falling in Love Again (1980) as a young neighbourhood boy
- Crazy Times (1981) as Bobby Shea
- First Blood (1982) as Mitch
- For Love and Honor (1983) as Rusty
- Thief of Hearts (1984) as Buddy Calamara
- Blue City (1986) as Joey Rayford
- China Girl (1987) as Mercury
- Into the Homeland (1987) as Ryder
- Twins (1988) as Al Greco
- King of New York (1990) as Dennis Gilley
- Parker Kane (1990) as Joey Torregrossa
- Rainbow Drive (1990) as Larry Hammond
- Hudson Hawk (1991) as Kit Kat
- Kiss of Death (1995) as Jimmy Kilmartin
- Jade (1995) as David Corelli
- Cold Around the Heart (1997) as Ned Tash
- Gold Coast (1998) as Maguire
- Body Count (1998) as Hobbs
- Deadlocked (2000) as Ned Stark
- Proof of Life (2000) as Dino
- Swirlee (2000) as Mr Softy's roommate
- Session 9 (2001) as Phil
- Black Point (2002) as John Hawkins
David Caruso net worth and salary
The star is, undeniably, among the wealthiest Hollywood celebrities now. Before his retirement, David Caruso salary per episode on CSI was $375,000. Also, David Caruso CSI Miami role earned him approximately $42,500 per episode.
According to Celebrity Net Worth, his net worth is estimated to be $35 million. He owns a 1,650-square-feet property in Sherman Oaks.
David Caruso children and ex-partners
Who is David Caruso spouse? The actor is supposedly single. He has had his fair share of challenges with marriage. The actor has married thrice, but none of the marriages has worked out.
First, he married Cheri Maugans on 30th March 1979 and divorced on 21st February 1984. Secondly, his union with Rachel Ticotin hit dead ends in 1987, three years after marriage. Lastly, he married Margaret Buckley on 4th May 1996. Their marriage came to an end on 17th January 2007.
Caruso has a daughter (Greta) with actress Rachel Ticotin. He also shares two sons with Liza Marquez, namely Marquez Anthony Caruso (born in 2005) and Paloma Raquel Caruso (born in 2007).
Frequently asked questions
Since his early retirement, some fans have been wondering what the actor has been doing. This is because he has been living a low-key life. Anyways, these additional facts about him may help you to know more about that.
What's David Caruso doing now?
After retiring, he resolved to start an art business. However, there is little known about the venture. He has, precisely, learnt to keep most of his life out of the public eye.
What happened to Horatio on CSI Miami?
Towards the end of season six, fans of the crime investigative TV show were shocked when the character was shot and left for dead. Many assumed that it was the end of Caruso’s role. However, it later turned out that its creators had faked Horatio’s death.
What is David Caruso net worth?
Currently, his net worth is estimated to be $35 million. The figure might be slightly lower, considering he has not been active in the scene for a long time.
Why did David Caruso stop acting?
He stopped due to the cancellation of CSI: Miami. The show has earned him fame across the globe. None of the Hollywood producers could afford to hire him due to his experience and standards.
Indeed, David Caruso had an illustrious career that saw him become among the highest-paid actors during his time. He starred in several movies and television shows, making a name for himself. Several years after his abrupt retirement, many of his fans still cherish his work.
Briefly.co.za shared an interesting article about Don Lemon. He is among CNN’s top journalists with a remarkable track record. The soon to be 55-year-old is also an established author known for Transparent (2011) and This Is the Fire (2021).
Lemon has worked his way up the ladder to become the person he is today. He started as a news assistant, working at WNYW. The news anchor has since worked at Fox News, NBC, and now CNN. Currently, he hosts The Don Lemon Show on CNN.