Tokyo Sexwale: Hawks Investigating Alleged R41 Quadrillion Stolen in SA

Tokyo Sexwale: Hawks Investigating Alleged R41 Quadrillion Stolen in SA

- The Hawks have confirmed that they will be investigating Tokyo Sexwale's claims about money being stolen

- Just last week, Sexwale said that an obscene amount of funds had been stolen from the "Heritage Fund"

- The money that was allegedly stolen adds up to R41 quadrillion and two instances of theft have been reported

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The Hawks says that they are formally investigating two instances of supposed theft – totalling over R41 quadrillion.

The cases match with allegations made by senior ANC official Tokyo Sexwale a week ago, where he claimed that a massive measure of cash had been taken from the public coffers.

While not straightforwardly referencing Sexwale by name, the Hawks said that the cases were opened by an individual professing to be named by the administration as a measurable specialist.

Read also

DJ Fresh and Euphonik slapped with lawsuit for defamation of character

According to a report by Business Insider, the complainant submitted two archives - one at 101 pages, and another at 213 pages – charging that assets were plundered and lost to illegal tax avoidance, extortion and other genuine wrongdoings.

Tokyo Sexwale: Hawks investigating alleged R41 quadrillion stolen in SA
After Tokyo Sexwale claimed that money was stolen from the "Heritage Fund", the Hawks are investigating. Image: ACK GUEZ/AFP
Source: Getty Images

Sexwale's statements were first made in an interview with eNCA, where he said that billions of rand was stored at the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) from a supposed "Heritage Fund", which had in this manner disappeared.

He said that the actual asset contained trillions of rands that were utilised by African countries for magnanimous and advancement purposes.

In any case, reacting to the allegations, the SARB said it had no record of the cash that Sexwale was talking about.

Briefly News previously reported that the Hawks confirmed the investigation into claims by Tokyo Sexwale. The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) has confirmed that it was investigating the alleged "Heritage Fund" after claims were made by Tokyo Sexwale.

Read also

Man breaks Guinness World Record with his special plank exercise

Sexwale briefed the media on Thursday about the fund and other claims. According to a recent report, Katleho Mogale of the Hawks stated that a case had been opened a few weeks back.

Mogale stated that it was 'too early' to speculate any role players and it's not the norm for the Hawks to reveal names of suspects or persons of interests. Mogale added that the Hawks don't generally give names out until allegations are investigated properly and the people have appeared in court.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel