- Tainted noodles have been blamed for the death of three Eastern Cape children on Sunday night
- The noodles were bought from a spaza shop by the eldest of the three children and eaten by all three
- All three children felt nauseous and were taken to the hospital in private transport on Sumday night
PAY ATTENTION: Follow Briefly News on Twitter and never miss the hottest topics! Find us at @brieflyza!
GQEBERHA - Three children have died while in their grandparents' care, allegedly due to food poisoning from tainted noodles.
The children are Sinothando Ngwendu, Olwam Ngwendu, and Athenkosi Ngwendu. Olwan and Athenkosi are siblings, and Sinothando is their cousin.
One of the three children, a girl aged 11, bought the noodles from a spaza shop on Sunday. The three children then ate the noodles once they were cooked.
Eastern Cape noodle saga
Later when they were travelling home they started to feel sick. According to EWN, the two eldest children were taken to the hospital after they complained of nausea.
Enjoy reading our stories? Download the BRIEFLY NEWS app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!
East Coast Radio reports that while the two eldest children, aged 11 and 7, were being driven to the hospital in private transport, they passed away. The youngest child, who was just a baby, died while travelling in a different car on the same route.
Priscilla Naidu, a spokesperson for the Eastern Cape police, has said that a post-mortem will be conducted to ascertain the true cause of death.
South Africa reacts to noodle story
"Which brand of noodles?"
"What!? Like how were they tained?"
"Is the shop of those people who always make knock off products? Need to to stop buying from these people."
"@SAPoliceService needs to trace this back to the shop from where it was bought and confiscate the entire batch of noodles."
"Filthy habit": Panyaza Lesufi shares disgraceful photos after thugs burgle school, Mzansi blames the ANC
Woolies recalls apple juice amid food safety concerns
Previously Briefly News reported on another story concerning food safety, namely Woolworths recalling their apple juice.
Woolworths SA has had to recall an entire batch of apple juice cartons after it's been confirmed that many of the products may not be safe for consumption. Following routine quality tests, the company says it has detected severely high levels of a certain mycotoxin in the fruit juice boxes.
Naturally, Mzansi was not at all impressed and headed to the comments section to react. While people were happy they might receive a refund, others wondered what the health consequences might be.
Source: Briefly News