Hugo Broos Explains Why He Dropped 4 Mamelodi Sundowns Players From Bafana Bafana Squad

Hugo Broos Explains Why He Dropped 4 Mamelodi Sundowns Players From Bafana Bafana Squad

Bafana Bafana head coach Hugo Broos has clarified his recent squad selection decisions, citing injuries and current form as key factors behind the exclusion of several familiar names.

South Africa are preparing to face Lesotho and the Super Eagles of Nigeria in their next 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers in Group C.

The 73-year-old released a 23-man squad on Thursday, August 28, 2025, after initially unveiling a 48-man preliminary squad a week before.

The major highlight of the final squad is that several Mamelodi Sundowns players, who were initially in the preliminary squad, were dropped.

Broos explains why Sundowns players were dropped

Broos confirmed that Grant Kekana was not called up due to injury, while Thapelo Morena has only just returned from the sidelines and isn't yet match-fit for international duty.

The former Cameroon national team coach also noted that both Jayden Adams and Fawaaz Basadien are not currently performing at the level required for the intensity of Bafana Bafana's upcoming fixtures.

Read also

Miguel Cardoso faces fire as Sundowns fall to Pirates

PAY ATTENTION: Briefly News is now on YouTube! Check out our interviews on Briefly TV Life now!

“Kekana is recovering, so he wasn’t available for selection,” Broos told SABC 1.
“As for Jayden, we’ve discussed him before; he’s simply not at the standard we need right now. The same goes for Fawaaz. Thapelo just played his first game back with Sundowns after a hamstring issue, so he’s not quite ready either.”

The Belgian mentor stressed that these international matches demand a higher level of performance than domestic football, even against teams like Lesotho.

“People often underestimate how tough these games are. They are not the same as those in the PSL. We need players who are fully fit and in top form," he added.
“If we have to choose between a player like Thapelo, who’s still regaining fitness, and Sebelebele, who’s in fantastic shape, the choice is obvious.
"The same goes for Zuko Mdunyelwa; he’s fast, hard-working, and even scoring goals. There’s no reason to hesitate in selecting players like him.”

Read also

Cardoso gives updates on Sundowns’ Bafana star as transfer talks heat up

Reactions as Broos explanation about Sundowns stars

TonyMCFC_ said:

"Of course he will spread his legs across the table to explain why he didn’t call up some Sundowns players.. but wouldn’t even give a reason as to why in form players like Makgalwa are nit called up. Hugo Broos has favourites."

HelmanMokone wrote:

"Broos should stop giving us reasons why certain players are not selected."

therealfunkyb reacted:

"I agree with him in regards to Jayden , Fawaaz still has to adjust he will be back in the next international break."

WaTsotetsii shared:

"Hugo Broos won't win this fight... Last season he said Chiefs is under performing hence the players aren't selected. This season, both Pirates and Sundowns are under performing and yet they represent half the squad over Kaizer Chiefs players, and we are expected to fill Stadiums."

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Raphael Abiola avatar

Raphael Abiola (Sports editor) Raphael Abiola is a Nigerian Sports Journalist with over seven years of experience. He obtained a B.Tech degree in Computer Science from the Federal University of Technology, Akure, in 2015. Raphael previously worked as a football editor at Stakegains (2016-2018) and a content editor with Opera News Nigeria (2018-2023). Raphael then worked as an Editor for the Local Desk at Sports Brief (2023-2024). Reach him via email at raphael.abiola@sportsbrief.com.