Orlando Pirates Confirm Surprise Decision on Deano Van Rooyen

Orlando Pirates Confirm Surprise Decision on Deano Van Rooyen

  • Deano Van Rooyen's future at Orlando Pirates has taken an unexpected turn after the defender held discussions with the club
  • The former Stellenbosch FC full-back has been an important part of the Pirates squad since arriving at the club ahead of the 2024/25 season
  • A new chapter now awaits Van Rooyen after more than 50 appearances for the Buccaneers, but his next destination remains unclear
Orlando Pirates defender deano van rooyen leaves
Orlando Pirates have confirmed a surprise decision on defender Deano Van Rooyen. Image: orlandopirates/X
Source: Twitter

Orlando Pirates have confirmed a surprise decision on Deano Van Rooyen, with the defender set to leave the club after both parties agreed to part ways by mutual consent. The announcement was made on Friday, 21 August 2026, with Pirates saying the decision followed discussions between Van Rooyen and the club.

Pirates confirmed the decision in a post on X:

Van Rooyen joined Pirates from Stellenbosch FC ahead of the 2024/25 season after establishing himself as a consistent full-back in the Betway Premiership. He made more than 50 appearances for the Buccaneers during his time at the club.

Read also

Kaizer Chiefs suffer setback as da Cruz confirms unwanted news after Sundowns clash

PAY ATTENTION: You can now search for all your favourite news and topics on Briefly News.

Orlando Pirates said Van Rooyen remained a professional throughout his spell, whether selected to start or introduced from the bench.

The club said:

"Whether starting or coming off the bench, Deano carried himself as a model professional throughout his time at the club."

Pirates explain Van Rooyen decision

Pirates said the departure followed "open conversations" between Van Rooyen and the club. The two parties agreed that it was the right time for him to begin a new chapter in his career. His next destination has not been announced.

Pirates thanked Van Rooyen for his contribution and wished him well in his future endeavours. The decision brings his Pirates spell to an end after 2 seasons.

Orlando Pirates face fixture congestion as 3 competitions collide

Briefly News previously reported that Orlando Pirates were heading into a demanding stretch of the season, with their MTN8, Betway Premiership and CAF Champions League commitments set to overlap.

Read also

Kaizer Chiefs open talks over stunning move for former Orlando Pirates star

The Buccaneers' crowded schedule was expected to test Abdeslam Ouaddou's squad depth, particularly with domestic and continental fixtures beginning to compete for space on the calendar.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Dzikamai Matara avatar

Dzikamai Matara Dzikamai Matara is a sports writer at Briefly News. He previously worked as a news and current affairs editor at iHarare for eight years. Before that, he was a profiler, sports, human interest, entertainment, and current affairs writer at Pindula for two years, where he produced profiles and news articles. He completed two years of Mechanical Engineering coursework at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He has also completed YOAST SEO for Beginners (2023), YOAST Block Editor Training (2023), and YOAST Structured Data for Beginners (2023).