- The High Court of Pietermaritzburg as adjourned the matter to interdict the coronation of Prince Misuzulu Zulu on Friday
- The Zulu royal house has been engulfed by internal fighting as the daughters of the late King Goodwill Zwelithini are against Misuzulu’s crowning
- Media reports suggest that the High Court decided to give the Zulu royal house until June to file papers against Misuzulu’s ascendancy to the throne
In a bid to stop the coronation of Prince Misuzulu Zulu through the courts, the Pietermaritzburg High Court has adjourned the matter.
Media reports indicate that a disgruntled Princess Ntandoyenkosi Zulu and Princess Ntombizosuthu Zulu-Duma approached the court with an urgent application to stop the coronation.
However, the court action will continue to hang over the coronation of Prince Misuzulu as king of the Zulu nation since both parties may not reach a reasonable agreement.
It is reported by various media outlets that the Pietermaritzburg High Court adjourned the matter sine die (without assigning a day for a further hearing).
TimesLIVE says the move by the court is for the case to be consolidated with the initial application, which challenges the validity of the late King Goodwill Zwelithini’s will.
Shortly after the proceedings, the princesses’ attorney Bethuel Thusini told the media it would be "devious" for anyone to hold the coronation when the matter was in court.
Speaking after the brief court appearance, Zulu royal household spokesperson Prince Thulani Zulu said the coronation could go ahead. He is quoted by TimesLIVE:
“They tried to stop the coronation. Unfortunately, they were not granted that, so it doesn’t stop us from doing whatever we want.”
The website has it that Judge Rishi Seegobin had cautioned parties against running to court for every single thing.
This comes after advocate Griffiths Madonsela, who stood for the late Queen Mantfombi Dlamini, told the court that the princesses had disobeyed a court order by bringing the latest application.
According to News24, the daughters of the late King Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu, Zulu and Zulu-Duma, wanted the execution of the will to be halted and interdicted.
It is also reported that Zwelithini‘s first wife Queen Sibongile Dlamini, the mother of Zulu and Zulu-Duma, wanted a 50% share of the late King’s estate.
On the other hand, it has come to Briefly News’ attention that there was a tussle between the representative’s lawyers in court.
Briefly News also reported that the newly appointed king of the Zulu nation King Misuzulu Kazwelithini has been given a large budget of R66.07 million to preserve Zulu culture through traditional and cultural events.
This is an R5.23 million reduction from last year's budget. The money was issued by the KwaZulu-Natal government.
According to TimesLIVE, the funds have been allocated for the 2021/22 financial year. In total 14 events are set to be sponsored by the budget.
Eight of the events have already taken place with the remaining six events still to take place. KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala made the announcement last Friday.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!