Marks Maponyane is a South African retired professional footballer. Currently, he is a motivational speaker, analyst, football commentator, and sales executive at Adidas South Africa. He is best known for his glittering football career at club level with the Kaizer Chiefs and the South African football team. You may also know him for his awards such as the Footballer of the Year award in 1983, 1984, and 1987.
Nicknamed "Go Man Go", Marks Maponyane started writing his legend at the age of just 19 years with the Chiefs. In his career that lasted for 17 years, the former striker was very much into football although he has also made some leaps in the corporate world. So, what else is there to know about our Mzansi hero?
Marks Maponyane profile summary
- Full name: Marks Maponyane
- Date of birth: 16th February 1962
- Place of birth: Meadowlands, Soweto, South Africa
- Marks Maponyane age: 57 years old as of 2019
- Nationality: South African
- Marks Maponyane Instagram: @marksmaponyane
- Marks Maponyane Twitter: @MarksMaponyane
- Relationship status: Single
- Occupation: Motivational speaker, analyst, football commentator, and Sales Executive
- Famous for: His glittering career with the Kaizer Chiefs
For his contact details, you will have to use his social media handles.
Marks Maponyane biography
The legend came a long way from growing up in the streets of Soweto. In fact, his first salary was only R600 a month. None knew how great he would turn out to be at that time.
Marks Maponyane career
After joining Chiefs, Marks got his debut goal in Elodorado while playing against Leceister City. He stayed with the Kaizer Chiefs from 1981 to 1991 and made 192 appearances. He also made history by scoring 85 goals during his stay there, which is a record that has not been broken to this day.
In 1987, he joined Vitoria Setubal for a seven-month spell and then had trials with Grasshopper Zurich for three months. During his spell with Setubal, none of his mates could speak English, which may be the reason why he never went back after the season ended. After the Chiefs, Marks joined Dynamos from 1991 to 1992 and made 31 appearances. He scored 13 goals for the Dynamos.
Marks joined Orlando pirates where he stayed from 1992 to 1996 making 136 appearances and scoring 40 goals. Finally, he joined Wits University from 1996 to 1998. At Wits, he appeared 74 times and found the back of the net 30 times. All in all, at club level, his career saw him make 440 appearances and an impressive 177 goals.
Internationally, he played for Bafana Bafana in 1992. He only played 13 times for the national team and had two goals. His debut with the Bafana Bafana was on 16 August 1992 against Zimbabwe although they lost the match.
Currently, aside from his previously mentioned roles, Marks works as a football commentator for the South African Broadcasting Cooperation (SABC). In fact, he was part of the analysis team during the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
The following are Marks’s achievements:
- Three-time Footballer of the Year (1986, 1987, and 1994)
- South African Sport Hero of the Year (1983)
- African Champions League with Orlando Pirates in 1995
- The league title with Orlando Pirates in 1994
Marks Maponyane family
Marks was married to Sylvia back in 1985 and the two of them lived in the classy Marks Maponyane house in Midstream Estate, which is to the East of Johannesburg. The couple has two kids namely Katlego and Masego. Katlego Maponyane is a snowboarder while Masego was once the Sexiest Man of the Year by Cosmopolitan Magazine. Clearly, Marks Maponyane son is doing well too.
Marks and Sylvia did not have an amicable ending to their marriage with the Marks Maponyane wife accusing him of violence among other charges. In August 2017, Marks was found guilty of assault and he was fined R3000 or six months imprisonment. There was also further R6000 or 24 months imprisonment.
Marks Maponyane latest news
Marks came out recently to warn his former club, Kaizer Chiefs, against complacency in the league race. With eight rounds down, the Chiefs and the Mamelodi Sundowns are in a strong position so far. However, he has said that there may be a surprise in store for the two teams in the form of Bidvest Wits.
Now you can comfortably claim that you know how Marks Maponyane came became famous and the struggles he has faced. This is a good lesson for any upcoming athletes from Mzansi.
- Masasa Mbangeni age, marriage, parents, weight loss, TV shows, movies, nominations, awards and Instagram
- Mapula Mafole age, marriage, family, Generations the Legacy, nominations, car, and Instagram
- Nadia Beukes age, weight loss, baby, husband, wedding, songs, Getroud Met Rugby and Instagram
- Brighton Ngoma biography: age, son, girlfriend, Vitiligo, Scandal and Instagram
- Tema Sebopedi age, weight loss, husband, parents, TV shows, nominations, and Instagram