As the years go by, more and more people continue to thirst for knowledge. In this sense, vast numbers of people have been enrolling in institutions of higher education. Inherently, systems have been put in place to improve the quality of education. These systems also seek to assess the students correctly in preparation for higher education. Programs such as the NBTs Project were founded to ensure proper assessment of the learners. The NBT results play a significant role in the placement of universities and other programs.
What is the purpose of this test for universities? The NBT tests gauge the students’ literacy in academics, general knowledge, and their skills in mathematics. All this is an effort to get to know the learners’ readiness for higher education. It is also crucial since the benchmark levels compliment the National Senior Certificate results.
National Benchmark Test Project
The National Benchmark Tests Project (NBTs) was established in 2005 by the Higher Education South Africa (HESA). NBTs aimed at supplementing the National Senior Certificate (NSC) results by providing criterion-referenced information. It is also designed to effectively meet the educational needs of the students who would be joining them. The project has four main objectives, which it has followed from the time it was started:
- The assessment of entry-level academic and quantitative literacy and mathematics proficiency of students;
- The evaluation of the relationship between higher education entry-level proficiencies and school-level exit outcomes;
- The provision of a service to HE institutions that requires additional information in assisting in the placement of students in appropriate curricular routes:
- The assistance of curriculum development, particularly concerning foundation courses.
READ ALSO: UWC application status check 2020
The NBTs tests are categorized into two: the academic & quantitative literacy test and the mathematics test. It takes 3 hours to pass each of them.
Preparation for NBT tests
The project does not give NBT past papers. However, some organizations claim they offer preparation for the tests. These organizations are not in any way liked to NBTs Project. The test does an overall examination of the applicant’s knowledge of the information he or she was taught throughout schooling.
How do you get the NBT test results?
The results take three weeks from the writing session day to be released to the institutions. Therefore, you will not need to send your results to the institutions you applied or listed. The results are uploaded to the NBTs account, by noon, after the session of writing. If you would like to retake the tests, you have a minimum of 6 weeks in between the sessions of writing to prepare.
READ ALSO: Everything you need to know about homeschooling South Africa
To get your results:
- Click on www.nbt.ac.za
- Scroll to applicants, then to "NBT Results" then click on "Access your results"
- It will open a new page where you need to click on "Get my NBT results"
- On the new page enter your username which is your ID or passport number
- Enter the password you created when you registered
- Then click on "Log In"
Your results should be available by noon on the date given on the NBT test schedule. The staff of NBTs is not permitted to release the results over the email; you can only use the NBT test login to access them. There is no NBT pass mark. The individual institutions use the levels of benchmark and other information that may be available in their assessment.
If you did not get your results or cannot access them, you may be having an outstanding balance. You will need to clear the balance first for you to get the results.
READ ALSO: How can you register to write for the NBT?
If you have any questions or queries you can use the following contacts for assistance:
Telephone number: 021-650 3523 (from 7 am to 10 am on test weekends)
READ ALSO: How to get a Matric Certificate fast
Education plays a major role in shaping one’s future. Therefore, it should be taken seriously. The information above should guide on getting your NBT results. Good luck with your tests!
- Durban University of Technology online application, check status, courses, fees, contact details, requirements 2020
- Can I study at UNISA without Matric?
- Upgrade matric results: Here is how and where you can do it