Thela Ngobeni is a South African football player. He plays for the Premier League club Highlands as a regular goalkeeper. His journey to stardom is inspiring and worth knowing, especially for soccer lovers.
Thela has played for numerous Premier Soccer League clubs such as Free State Stars, Kaizer Chiefs, and Mamelodi Sundowns. Recently, he left Mamelodi Sundowns and joined Highland Park.
Thela Ngobeni profile summary
- Full name: Thela Ngobeni
- Date of birth: 4th February 1989
- Place of birth: Katlehong, Gauteng
- Thela Ngobeni age: 31 years as of 2020
- Nationality: South African
- Height: 5 feet 10 inches
- Weight: 69 kg
- Profession: Footballer
- Thela Ngobeni current team: Highlands Park Football Club
- Main position: Goalkeeper
- Market value: €200,000
Thela Ngobeni was born on 4th February 1989 in Katlehong, Gauteng. The Highlands Park player has always kept information about his relationships and family away from the limelight.
He once mentioned that his late father was so proud of him when he brought home a trophy. He has not said anything about his mother or any other family members.
He started playing football from his hometown Katlehong in New Jack City. At the age of 10 years, he went for trials with Orlando Pirates, playing as a midfielder. One of his coaches from his hometown gave him the position of the goalkeeper, and he did excellently.
He did amazingly well as he won a trophy as a Goalkeeper of the Tournament. He went for the trials in January at Kaizer Chiefs and did an impressive job, and he was selected.
Thela began playing football at a very young age. He started his career under the training of coach Sephoa in the U-13 football team. He went to play for the U-15, U-17 and eventually U-20 football teams.
- 2008/2009 season - 1st July 2008, he left Kaizer Chiefs Youth and joined Kaizer Chiefs.
- 2012/2013 season - 1st July 2012, he left Kaizer Chiefs and stayed without a club.
- 2012/2013 season - 10th February 2012, he went from being without a club and joined Sundowns.
- 2016/2017 season - 31st August 2016, he left Mamelodi Sundowns and joined Free State Stars.
- 2016/2017 season - 30th June 2017, he left Free State Stars and joined Mamelodi Sundowns.
- 2017/2018 season - 26th January 2018, he left Mamelodi Sundowns and joined Free State Stars.
- 2017/2018 season - 30th June 2018, he left Free State Stars and joined Mamelodi Sundowns.
- 2019/2020 season - 16th July 2019, he left Mamelodi Sundowns and joined Highlands Park.
Here is the breakdown of Thela Ngobeni stats:
- ABSA Premiership - 38 appearances, 44 goals conceded, nine nil-nil games, 3.377 minutes played
- Telkom Knockouts - 4 appearances, seven goals conceded, one nil-nil game, 450 minutes played
- Nedbank Cup - 6 appearances, three goals conceded, three nil-nil games, 600 minutes played
- MTN 8 - 4 appearances, one goal realized, three nil-nil games, 450 minutes played
The goalkeeper has garnered several awards in his domestic clubs. Here is an outline of these trophies:
- Premier Soccer League - 3 times winner- 2013/2014, 2015/2016 and 2018/2019
- Premier Soccer League - one-time runner-up - 2014/2015
- Cup - 2 times winner - 2014/2015 and 2017/2018
- League Cup - 2 times winner - 2009/2010 and 2015/2016
- 8 cup - 2 times runner-up - 2011/201 and 2019/2020
Thela Ngobeni Kaizer Chiefs
Thela had a hard time attaining game time while at the Kaizer Chief's football club. After an unsuccessful series of tryouts, he exited the club in 2013. Immediately, he was signed off by the Mamelodi Sundowns.
The goalkeeper revealed that even though there was a possibility of returning to Kaizer Chiefs, he opted for the Highlands Park as they showed more seriousness about the balling services he had to offer them.
Ngobeni also stated that Highlands Park had been knocking on his door for the longest time, thus forcing him to open up eventually. He was signed on a three-year contract.
Thela Ngobeni injury
Thela Ngobeni suffered a bad knee injury that saw him get set out from the pitch for four months. The damage was a massive blow to the star as well as the Highlands Park football club.
In his football career history, Thela has had two other significant injuries as follows:
- 2017/2018 season - Groin injury from 30th September to 4th October 2017 (4 days)
- 2018/2019 season - Shoulder injury from 2nd November 2018 to 2nd August 2019 (273 days)
Thela Ngobeni latest news
In the latest Thela Ngobeni news, the talented Highlands Park's football player recognized and appreciated the talent bestowed upon some players. He was speaking about the likes of Itumeleng Kheng and Ronwen Williams.
As per his observations, he was aware that not everyone could match up to Khune's expertise. Thela aimed at emphasizing that everyone's journey in the career is different from the other. Therefore, it is the role and duty of every footballer to embrace the positive side as they aim to become the best.
Salary and net worth
Although Thela has not publicly stated how much he earns or the value of his contracts, it is believed that he makes quite a fair amount. His highest market value was €275,000 on 22nd July 2017. During this period, Ngobeni was playing for the Mamelodi Sundowns. At the moment, his market value is €200,000.
Thela Ngobeni is at the height of excellence on the pitch as a goalkeeper. He has chosen to stay focused and become the best goalkeeper there is.
He is one of the most super-talented actors the entertainment industry is proud to have. With his talent and prowess, a lot awaits him in the future.