Trump concedes defeat, says there will be an orderly transition

Trump concedes defeat, says there will be an orderly transition

- US President Donald Trump has conceded defeat to President-elect Joe Biden

- Trump promised an "orderly transition" of power for Biden on 20 January

- Trump made the statement on Thursday, 7 January after the chaos at Capitol Hill

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

President Donald Trump has finally conceded defeat to Joe Biden with the US President promising on an orderly transition to power on January 20.

The embattled and enraged president made this known in a statement he released on Thursday, January 7, after Biden, 78, was officially certified as the president of the United States.

Trump, however, maintained that he "totally" disagrees with the outcome of the election, adding that he will pursue justice even after leaving office.

Trump concedes defeats, says there will be orderly transition

President Donald Trump has conceded defeat to President-elect Joe Biden. Image: Eric Lee / Bloomberg
Source: Getty Images

Briefly.co.za earlier reported that Trump supporters had stormed the US congress, forcing police to draw their guns. The was a moment of shame in the United States (US) Capitol building on Wednesday, 6 January after outgoing President Donald Trump's supporters breached security and stormed the congress in a bid to halt President-elect Joe Biden's certification process.

Kevin Hart reacts to invasion of Capitol building by Trump supporters

The US Capitol police officers were forced to draw their guns in a chaotic scene last witnessed in 1812 in the powerful country's history and four people, including one woman, are now dead.

The protesters wanted to delay the peaceful transfer of power and came after outgoing Vice President Mike Pence, a Republican, rejected his boss' calls to overturn Biden's win.

Biden then challenged the outgoing Trump to go public on television and denounce the chaos at Capitol Hill. Taking to Twitter, the Democratic party leader condemned the violence, terming it an "assault on the citadel of liberty" and imploring the outgoing leader to step up and end the mayhem.

"I call on President Trump to go on national television now to fulfil his oath and defend the Constitution by demanding an end to this siege," said Biden.

The Republican had earlier urged the protesters to be peaceful but has since faced pressure from his allies and former aides to speak out more forcefully against the violence.

US Congress formally confirms Joe Biden's victory over Trump

Trump also faced removal from office as cabinet considered the 25th Amendment. According to ABC News, some members of President Trump's cabinet have been discussing the possibility of invoking the 25th Amendment.

The news media, however, stated that it is unclear whether Vice President Mike Pence is supportive of the action.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel