- President Cyril Ramaphosa has slammed attacks against the judiciary and says they will not be taken lightly
- The president released his weekly statement through 'From The Desk of The President' newsletter on Monday, 22 February
- The statement comes after former president Jacob Zuma launched his attacks at the judiciary
President Cyril Ramaphosa released his weekly 'From The Desk of the President' statement on Monday, 22 February. The president spoke about attacks on the judiciary, stating that they are "deeply disturbing".
The statement added that the lack of evidence to support claims that judges have been accused of political agendas and accepting bribes undermine the judiciary and the important function it performs in the country.
The president added that evidence of wrongdoing by any judge should be presented through the avenues provided in the Constitution and in SA's law to ensure that appropriate action is taken.
The president's statement comes after former president Jacob Zuma had launched attacks against the judiciary. IOL previously reported that Zuma revived the issue of the CR17 bank statements being sealed.
JZ claimed that the aforementioned was proof enough that certain judges were not 'qualified' to be on the bench due to bribery and that the statements were sealed in order to cover tracks.
President Ramaphosa's statement went on to say that the attacks against the judiciary should not be taken lightly as this shakes the foundations of the Constitutional democracy in the country:
"Unless supported by evidence, such claims undermine confidence in our courts, and weaken our Constitutional order. In all our actions, we need to take heed of Section 165(3) of the Constitution, which says: 'No person or organ of state may interfere with the functioning of the courts.'
"We interfere with the functioning of our courts and weaken the rule of law when we attack the judiciary. Our failure to implement our courts’ injunctions weakens our constitutional democracy."
Briefly.co.za previously reported that Ramaphosa stated he would not engage in insults following the SONA debate. Ramaphosa wrote that the government will not be engaging in any of the insults made by the opposition about the party about the way the ANC has dealt with a number of issues in the country at the moment.
He also reassured everyone that confidence will be restored in SA's ruling party and that the country will overcome the pandemic.
"It is the business of this House to engage not in insults, but on what is needed to restore confidence and to bring stability to our nation. We will overcome the coronavirus pandemic," he wrote in one tweet.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!