Alcohol Ban: NDZ Says Transportation of Booze Is Not Allowed

Alcohol Ban: NDZ Says Transportation of Booze Is Not Allowed

- Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma stated that the transportation of alcohol will not be allowed this long weekend

- Dlamini-Zuma spoke about the temporary booze ban on off-site consumption and how it leads to gatherings

- The minister added that police officers will be conducting roadblocks to ensure that no alcohol is being transported

PAY ATTENTION: Join Briefly News' Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

COGTA Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma revealed during a media briefing on Thursday, 1 April that alcohol will not be allowed to be transported during the off-site alcohol ban for the Easter weekend.

On-site alcohol consumption is still allowed through the ban period but is only allowed until 11pm. This means that bars and restaurants will be allowed to run as normal with alcohol sales and consumption.

The transportation ban will begin on Friday, 2 April until Monday, 5 April. Alcohol that was bought before the temporary ban will not be allowed to be moved from any point.

Read also

Government increases numbers for religious gatherings over Easter

No alcohol this easter as Dlamini-Zuma extends booze ban to transportation
Minister Dlamini-Zuma revealed that alcohol will not be allowed to be transported during the temporary ban. Image: Waldo Swiegers/Bloomberg
Source: Getty Images

According to TimesLIVE, Dlamini-Zuma stated that police will be conducting roadblocks as people are not allowed to transport alcohol. The minister added that the ban of off-site consumption would limit people moving around to different events such as braais during the Easter celebrations.

Dlamini-Zuma stated this will slow the spread of Covid-19 as people "move the virus". A report by News24 stated that Dlamini-Zuma stated the temporary ban is in place to avoid what happened in December last year when the number of Covid-19 cases increased rapidly.

The minister stated that the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) learnt 'hard' lessons about the mixing of off-site alcohol consumption with gatherings.

Previously, Briefly.co.za reported that President Cyril Ramaphosa had announced the changes made for the Easter period in terms of Covid-19 regulations. Ramaphosa announced a temporary ban on alcohol sales over the Easter weekend.

Read also

Mbuyiseni Ndlozi says Ramaphosa will cause 3rd Covid wave, SA reacts

Ramaphosa said that the nation is not ready to relax its Covid-19 restrictions over the Easter period. However, the president did have some good news, the country was winning the war against Covid-19 with new infections and deaths continuing to decline and recoveries increasing.

Ramaphosa announced that the government has consulted many sectors of the country in regards to the Easter weekend.

He announced that the country would remain on Level 1. The curfew will remain the same and beaches, parks and dams will remain open under Covid-19 protocols, which include social distancing and mask-wearing.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel