Nandi Nyembe’s Family Defends Gayton McKenzie Amid Fierce Online Criticism: “That Is Not True”

Nandi Nyembe’s Family Defends Gayton McKenzie Amid Fierce Online Criticism: “That Is Not True”

  • Gayton McKenzie was accused of neglecting Nandi Nyembe following her passing on Saturday, 23 August 2025
  • Nandi Nyembe's family broke its silence regarding Gayton McKenzie during the late actress's memorial held on Thursday, 28 August 2025
  • Gayton McKenzie also revealed how he assisted Nandi Nyembe, after her co-star Lerato Mvelase criticised him

Don't miss out! Join Briefly News Sports channel on WhatsApp now!

Nandi Nyembe's family defends Gayton McKenzie
Nandi Nyembe’s family cleared the air on Gayton McKenzie's support. Image: OJ Koloti/Gallo Images via Getty Images, nandinyembe/Instagram
Source: UGC

The family of the late South African actress Nandi Nyembe has responded to criticism levelled against Minister Gayton McKenzie. The politician has been at the centre of online criticism following the passing of Nandi Nyembe.

The memorial service held in honour of Nandi Nyembe on Thursday, 28 August 2025, was more than a celebration and remembrance of her legacy. While others paid tribute to the late actress, her Icala co-star Lerato Mvelase took to the podium and tore into Gayton McKenzie and the Department of Sports, Arts, and Culture.

In contrast, Nandi Nyembe’s family used the opportunity to clear the air regarding allegations that Gayton McKenzie and the Department of Sports, Arts, and Culture had not supported them.

Read also

Gayton McKenzie fires back after Lerato Mvelase's attack at Nandi Nyembe memorial

Nandi Nyembe's family speaks on Gayton McKenzie's role

In an emotional vote of thanks, the family confirmed that McKenzie had been with them since Sunday, 24 August 2025, after the news of Nandi Nyembe’s death broke.

The family said they were surprised to see social media posts alleging that McKenzie had not supported them. Nandi Nyembe’s family defended Gayton McKenzie and expressed gratitude to him, saying:

“We’ve been shocked to see posts online suggesting that the minister was not there for us. That is not true. He came to us, even on Sunday morning. And the department has been supporting us from the very beginning. We are not people who publicise what others do for us. But we want to make it clear we are grateful.”

Meanwhile, Nyembe’s son, Bongo Nyembe, shared a touching tribute to his late mother. He said:

“To South Africa, she was an icon. To the world, she was a storyteller. But to us, she was simply Ma, our home, our anchor, and our light. Her love carried us through life, and it is that same love that will continue to carry us forward.”

Read also

Lerato Mvelase slams Gayton McKenzie and Department of Sports at Nandi Nyembe's memorial service

Nandi Nyembe's family clears the air on Gayton McKenzie's support
Nandi Nyembe’s family defended Gayton McKenzie amid fierce criticism. Image: nandinyembe/Instagram, Oupa Bopape/Gallo Images via Getty Images
Source: UGC

How much did Gayton McKenzie give Nandi Nyembe's family?

After Lerato Mvelase tore into him during Nandi Nyembe's memorial, Gayton McKenzie broke his silence and shared how he had assisted the late actress's family.

McKenzie shared that he initially donated R20,000 of his own money when Nandi Nyembe initially opened up about her financial situation. After learning of her untimely demise, McKenzie shared that he donated R10,000 for funeral expenses.

His supported extended beyond financial assistance as he facilitated the removal of Nandi Nyembe's body from the state morgue to a private mortuary. He also availed his driver and an aide to assist the mourning family.

Nandi Nyembe never received donations before her passing

Meanwhile, Briefly News reported that Nandi Nyembe's daughter, Thami Nyembe, shared that the veteran actress did not receive the funds and other donations that were raised in her name before her passing.

Read also

Veteran star Nandi Nyembe's family asks for privacy following her death: "We kindly request space"

According to the report, Gayton McKenzie made a sizable cash donation, but he failed to fulfil a promise he made to Nyembe before her death.

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Tayananiswa Zvikaramba avatar

Tayananiswa Zvikaramba (Editor) Tayananiswa Zvikaramba is an entertainment writer at Briefly News. He previously worked as a profiler, sports, human interest, entertainment, and current affairs writer at Pindula (2016-2022) and iHarare (2022-2025). He holds a BA Honours in Archaeology from the University of Zimbabwe (2010-2013), YOAST SEO for Beginners (2023), YOAST Block Editor Training (2023), and YOAST Structured Data for Beginners (2023). Email: tayananiswa.zvikaramba@briefly.co.za