Creamy potato bake is a heart-warming family favourite you always expect at every family get-together. It works well as part of the main meal's carbohydrate portion and goes well with barbeques. So, bring your potato to the party and watch it disappear in no time. Check out some easy potato bake recipes in South Africa below.
Delicious food means different things to different people, which is why there are several potato bake recipes to choose from. Use what brings out the taste you and your loved ones like the most.
Easy South African potato bake recipe
Avoid stressing about healthy meals to make for your family. Incorporate these recipes explained into your weekly timetable to help your family have a balanced diet. Below are four potato recipes in South Africa.
1. Creamy potato bake recipe
This recipe takes 35 minutes or less to cook. Serve the meal when hot and make it more captivating by adding coleslaw. Check out this potato bake with cream recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
To serve: 4 people
- 4 ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large potatoes
- ½ onion, silvered (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 500ml cream
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°Celcius or 356° Fahrenheit.
- Get your potatoes, peel them, and rinse. Next, slice them vertically about an inch thick.
- Add the sliced pieces to a microwave-safe bowl and add salt to taste.
- Add the garlic powder.
- Place the bowl into the microwave and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Grate the cheese and set it aside.
- Add half the potato slices at the bottom of a greased casserole, making sure to cover the surface.
- Add the sliced onions over the potatoes.
- Cover with one cup of grated cheese.
- Pour 250 ml cream over.
- Lay the remaining slices of potatoes over.
- Cover the remaining 250 ml cream and 1 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the cheese is golden.
- Slice and serve.
2. Knorr potato bake recipe
Bring out the flavour you love most using Knorr beef cubed for this recipe. Below is the best potato bake recipe for a family of three people.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
To serve: 3 people
- 1 Knorr beef cube, mashed
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Bacon bits (optional)
- 3 pieces of large potatoes, skin on, washed and scrubbed water, as needed
- 4-6 tablespoons of quick-melting cheese, grated
- ½ cup all-purpose cream
- ¼ cup softened butter
- Fill a pot with water. Add the potato whole and cook until very tender.
- Next, drain them from the liquid and place them on paper towels.
- Lengthwise, slice the potatoes into half. Using a spoon, carefully scoop them, making cup-shaped potato skins around ½ inch thick.
- Put the scooped portions in a bowl and mash them well.
- Add Knorr beef cubes, cream, and butter.
- Adjust seasonings and add the mixture to the cups topped with cheese and bacon bits (optional).
- Bake this in an oven until the cheese melts.
3. South African potato bake recipe with brown onion soup
With only four ingredients to turn this humble spud into something tasty. The layers of onion and cream make this genuinely delicious side, which can easily be a main meal with the addition of a green salad or crisp.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
To serve: 6 people
- 2 kg large and washed potatoes
- Brown onion soup
- ¼ cup of sunflower oil
- Add salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°Celcius.
- Place the potato on a side plate that has a small rim.
- Slice down until you reach the plate, only halfway through the potato.
- Place them on a roasting dish, combine the oil and the whole pack of brown onion soup mix and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes, ensuring the mixture goes into the slices you have made.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, basting every 20 minutes.
- The potatoes are ready when they are crispy, dark golden and soft on the inside.
- To garnish, serve the meal with sour cream, fresh coriander, and optional chili flakes.
4. How do you make Jamie Oliver potato bake?
A Jamie Oliver potato bake makes one of the most classic dinner ideas in South Africa. Follow these guidelines to save time when preparing this unique delicacy.
- 1 kilo potatoes
- 100ml cream
- 1 red onion
- 5g fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 20g parmesan
- I clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons Anchovy oil
- 3 anchovies
- 100ml hot water
- Black pepper
- Peel a kilo of medium-sized potatoes and thinly slice.
- Peel and slice one red onion.
- Place the potatoes and onion into a baking tray.
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Next, add 5 g of fresh thyme.
- Add 100 ml of hot water and bring that to a boil.
- Afterwards, add two teaspoons of anchovy with three anchovies. Grate the garlic and add 20g of grated parmesan and a grated quarter of a nutmeg.
- Cover your tray with tahin foil and cook for six minutes.
- For 15 minutes, place the tray into the oven without the foil at 220°C.
Is it better to bake potatoes covered or uncovered?
Wrapping potatoes in foil slows down the baking process. On the contrary, since the foil has to be heated before baking, cooking times increase slightly. You get better results and save money when you bake them unwrapped.
Why do you put salt on a potato before baking?
Salt addition before baking allows the salt to absorb or draw out the excess moisture, resulting in a dry and fluffy potato.
Potato bake recipes in South Africa are the easiest way to prepare these meals. The aroma can convince any guest hurrying to leave to stay a little longer and join you for lunch or dinner.
Briefly.co.za also shared easy mince recipes for dinner. Do you have a craving for minced meat diets? Are you wondering how to prepare a variety of easy mince recipes?
The material also provides options on what to make with mince.
Source: Briefly News