State Capture: Ex-ANC Spokesperson Zizi Kodwa Received R2 Million in Kickbacks

State Capture: Ex-ANC Spokesperson Zizi Kodwa Received R2 Million in Kickbacks

- The Commission into State Capture has heard that former ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa had received money to the tune of R2 million in bribes

- In the evidence tabled by the managing director of ENS Forensics, Steven Powell, he said Kodwa has been paid via his personal bank account

- At the same time, Kodwa has sent a letter to the ruling party’s integrity commission sharing his side of the story

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The Commission into State Capture has heard that former African National Congress spokesperson Zizi Kodwa had received a whopping R2 million in kickbacks. Kodwa received the funds as payments and for luxury accommodation linked to technology services company EOH, the commission has been told.

Chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, Kodwa’s name came into the picture when the evidence was tabled by the managing director of ENS Forensics, Steven Powell.

Read also

KZN mining executive Nico Swart gunned down in Richards Bay, motive unknown

IOL reports that Powell had conducted a forensic investigation into EOH and, in the process, found payments made to the ANC and individuals linked to the party.

The commission into state capture has heard that former ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa had received payments to the tune of R2 million. Image: Wikus De Wet/AFP via Getty Images
The commission into state capture has heard that former ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa had received payments to the tune of R2 million. Image: Wikus De Wet/AFP via Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Briefly News has gathered that the payments were made while EOH was bidding for various government tenders and Powell returned to the commission on Tuesday.

Powell focus has gathered that the payments were made while EOH was bidding for various government tenders and Powell returned to the commission on Tuesday. Previously, Powell had told the inquiry that Kodwa had received a staggering R400 000 from Mackay through an intermediary company.

However, the commission has been able to receive other bank details and statements linked to Kodwa, which showed he had benefited in payments and luxury accommodation amounting to more than R2 million.

Powell said investigations had also found that payments totalling R15 million were also made to the ANC.

Read also

State Capture Inquiry: Norma Gigaba says Malusi owned more than 100 suits paid in cash

On the other hand, TimesLIVE has it that Powell told the Zondo Commission that there was a payment to the former spokesperson and he was asked to intervene since EOH was disqualified. He said:

“Chair, what this means, if you look at the chronology, is that there is a payment to Mr Kodwa, there is a request for his intervention because EOH were disqualified, and shortly after we have cancellation of the tender, which means the process would start afresh and EOH would potentially be eligible to compete again. They would have lost out.”

The publication also reports that Kodwa recently dispatched a letter to the ruling party’s integrity commission.

PAY ATTENTION: Never miss breaking news – join Briefly News' Telegram channel

He said:

“Importantly, I need to remind the integrity commission that, to date, there are no allegations of impropriety against me nor have I been criminally charged with any wrongdoing, and I maintain and still confirm my submissions on my relationship with Mr Mackay, and assistance and donations received during the period 2015 to 2016.”

Read also

Malusi Gigaba disputes Norma Mngoma's testimony, downplays security threat at Commission

Meanwhile, News24 also ran a story on Kodwa, stating Powell made it clear to the commission that Zizi received a payment of R1 million.

He said:

“This seems to be a transfer of R1 million from TSS to Mr Kodwa’s private bank account.”

In other stories, Briefly News reported that South African businesswoman and former SAA chairperson Dudu Myeni has snubbed the Zondo Commission Enquiry into State Capture and failed to appear.

Myeni was served a summons by the Commission but still did not arrive to give her testimony.

Her legal representatives said that Myeni was told that she still had to appear at the Commission, even after she asked for a postponement. She said that she could not be present because she was not based in Gauteng.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Online view pixel