South African cuisine is probably one of the most deep-rooted and authentic culinary traditions in Africa. Most of the country’s dishes tend to blend indigenous spices and flavors with those that were introduced by the Dutch settlers and foreigners from other regions. One of the most famous dishes you will come across at local restaurants is the curry noodle salad.
The curry noodle salads are great delicacies that are not only easy to prepare, but they can also be side dishes to a wide range of main dishes. Besides, there are also numerous recipes for you to choose from based on your preferences and whatever they are to be eaten with. For instance, you always have the option of preparing the kerrie noodle slaai, kerrie pasta slaai, or any of your favorite noodle slaai or pastaslaai. Below are some of the most popular recipes of these salads.
Curried Noodle Salad with Crunchy Vegetables
- A 250g rice noodles packet
- One tablespoon of curry powder
- Three tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Two tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- Two tablespoons of freshly chopped ginger
- Two tablespoons of soy sauce
- Two finely chopped garlic cloves
- One tablespoon of icing sugar
- Two finely chopped green onions
- One coarsely grated carrot
- A quarter cup of freshly chopped cilantro
- One and a half cups of bean sprouts
- Twenty four blanched snow peas
- Two cups of the Chinese vegetable; sui choi
- One medium-sized bell pepper, thinly sliced
1. Ensure that you have a large pot with water for cooking the noodles.
2. Heat the three tablespoons of your vegetable oil in a skillet pan and set over the medium-high heat temperature.
3. Add the garlic and ginger to it and cook for 15 seconds.
4. Add the one tablespoon of curry powder to it and cook for 15 more seconds.
5. Cool this mixture to the room temperature.
6. Boil the water in the pot and add the noodles to it.
7. Cook for 30-60 seconds or until they are tender.
8. Drain the noodles well, cool them in ice-cold water, and repeat the draining process.
9. Place the curry/oil mixture, noodles, and the remaining ingredients in a salad bowl.
10. Gently toss them to combine.
11. Cover the salad and store it in your fridge until the time for serving.
Note: If you want to blanch your snow peas, simply plunge them into boiling water for thirty seconds and cool them in ice-cold water before thoroughly draining them.
This tasty curry noodle salad can be served with sesame ginger, short ribs, baked salmon with the sweet chili citrus glaze, or honey garlic chicken legs.
The Curried Pasta Salad
This seemingly old-fashioned curry pasta salad is still trendy in South Africa and is popularly used as the braai side dish. Its preparation procedure entails;
- 500 grams of pasta screws
- 125 ml or a ½ cup of vinegar
- 65 ml or a ¼ cup of sunflower oil
- 1 x 240 grams of Rhodes tomato puree cup
- One nicely chopped red onion
- One chopped green pepper with seeds removed
- 15 to 30 ml (1 – 2 tablespoons) of Hinds madras curry powder
- 65 ml (or ¼ cup) of chopped parsley
- 125 ml (or ½ cup) of Rhodes apricot jam
- 5 ml (1 tablespoon) of ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta screws according to the instructions that are on the packet and set them aside to cool.
- Heat half of the sunflower oil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper and then fry until it is softened but do not let it turn brown.
- Lower the heat before adding the remaining oil, Rhodes tomato puree cup, and vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to boil.
- Add the turmeric, Rhodes Apricot jam superfine, and Hinds curry powder to it.
- Thoroughly whisk the mixture and continue cooking over low heat for five minutes.
- Season it to taste using the freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Pour the curry sauce onto the noodles and then toss to mix.
- Add the parsley.
- Cover and chill it in your fridge until it is ready to serve.
The Kerrie Noedel slaai Curry Noodle Salad Recipe
This is another great salad that you will not fail to find in most of South Africa’s restaurants. The things that go into the preparation of the Kerrie Noedel slaai Curry Noodle Salad include:
- 500 grams of noodles
- 200 grams of sugar
- One tablespoon of finely ground turmeric
- One tablespoon of Ayam Malaysian curry powder
- One tablespoon of hot Cartwrights curry powder
- Two teaspoons of medium-ground black pepper and salt
- A half a cup of vegetable oil
- Half a cup of brown vinegar safari
- One cup of tomato sauce such as Allgold
- One large onion
- One green pepper or capsicum
- Boil the 500g noodles with a bit of salt and oil in the water.
- Finely cut the green or red pepper and the onion.
- Make the sauce mix by adding the sugar, oil, and vinegar to the tomato sauce and thoroughly mix them.
- Stain the noodles, put them in a mixing bowl, and add the peppers and onions.
- Mix the sauce in before adding salt and black pepper to it.
- Refrigerate it overnight.
- The noodle salad is then ready to serve.
Curry noodle salads are an excellent cuisine in South Africa and many other countries around the world. The best thing about these salads is that they are relatively easier to prepare with most if not all of the ingredients being readily available at the local groceries and stores. Besides, you also have a wide range of recipes to choose from including the pasta slaai resepte, curry noodle salad recipe, and the noodle salad recipe for braai among others.
The salads can also accompany a wide range of other dishes including sesame ginger short ribs, baked salmon, as well as honey garlic chicken legs. If you want to prepare a delicious curry noodle salad, the above South African salad recipes can help you make one that will meet your needs.