Hlompho Kekana is a South African defensive and central midfielder who currently plays for the Mamelodi Sundowns. He is known for one of the most astonishing results in South Africa soccer when his team thrashed Powerlines FC 24-0, and Hlompho scored seven goals. You may also know him as the player who scored from 65 yards out against Cameron in 2016 while representing the national team. But that is not all. There is so much about the player from his detailed biography below.
Hlompho Kekana has had quite the career so far. Did you know that the 65 yard Hlompho Kekana goal during the Cameroon match got him nominated for the FIFA Puskás Award? That award has seen football greats such as Neymar, Christiano Ronaldo, Mohamed Salah, and others, meaning that Kekana's name will last forever in the global football scene. So who is Hlompho Kekana?
READ ALSO: Hlengiwe Mhlaba biography: age, husband, accident, songs, albums, record labels and nominations
Hlompho Kekana profile summary
Full names: Hlompho Alpheus Kekana
Date of birth: 23rd May 1985
Place of birth: Zebediela, South Africa
Hlompho Kekana age: 34 years old as of 2019
Nationality: South African
Hlompho Kekana Instagram: @gonzalez_888
Hlompho Kekana Facebook: @Hlompho.kekana.official
Hlompho Kekana Twitter: @Hlompho_Kekana
Hlompho Kekana height: 1.76 meters (5 feet and 9.29 inches)
Hlompho Kekana weight: 69 kilograms
Hlompho Kekana salary: Between R300,000 and R400,000
Relationship status: Married
Occupation: Football player
Famous for: Scoring seven goals in one game and his nomination for the FIFA Puskás Award
Hlompho Kekana biography
Alpheus Kekana has come a long way since his youth days where he was affiliated to the Zebediela Junior Swallows and Tshiamo Soccer Academy until 2004. Today, he is a successful player with impressive stats and an admirable lifestyle.
After the academies in his junior days, Alpheus signed for the Black Leopards where he stayed from 2004 to 2005. Between 2005 and 2011, he represented several football clubs including City Pillars, Black Leopards, Supersport United, and Bloemfontein Celtic. He then signed for Mamelodi Sundowns in 2011 and has made 136 appearances so far and scored 15 goals (the highest he has scored for a club). He is also the team's captain and among his successes is seeing the team win the 2016 CAF Champions League while wearing the number 8 jersey.
Internationally, Kekana plays for the South Africa football team. He has played for the SA team since 2011 and has made 24 appearances and scored five goals as of October 2018.
Hlompho Kekana stats
His international stats are as follows.
- 13th July 2013 at Nkoloma Stadium, Lusaka, Zambia in a friendly match against Namibia.
- 20th July 2013 at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium, Ndola, Zambia in a friendly match against Lesotho.
- 11th January 2014 at SA's Cape Town Stadium during the 2014 African Nations Championships against Mozambique.
- 26th March 2016 at Limbe Stadium, Limbe, Cameroon against the hosts Cameroon during the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualification.
- 2nd September 2016 at Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit, South Africa against Mauritania during the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualification.
Hlompho Kekana wife
Kekana is a family man with a wife and daughter. His family had a tragedy some two years back when his mother-in-law passed away in a car crash while holding his daughter.
Hlompho Kekana new car came from a sponsor (Volkswagen) privilege and it is none other than the Volkswagen Arteon R-Line, which is priced from at least R699, 000. His affiliation with the German brand extends to his Volkswagen Golf GTI.
Hlompho Kekana latest news
Hlompho and four other Mamelodi Sundown players who represented the national team in the 2019 African Cup of Nations held in Egypt, were given some two weeks off. The other four were Tiyani Mabunda, Sibusiso Vilakazi, Lebohang Maboe, and Themba Zwane
Recently, when Pitso Mosimane signed for Mamelodi Sundowns, he made a promise that he would make history with the club. To that effect, Kekana urged the player to sign a new contract and uphold the promise he made.
READ ALSO: Steve Komphela biography: age, nationality, children, wife, education, teams coached, interview, memes, book, Instagram, and latest news
Defensive midfielders in soccer do not get that much recognition in the sport, which favours forwards. However, Kekana has risen and defied the odds by becoming one of the very best South African defenders that the country has had. All the best to the stalwart.
- Shoki Sebotsane biography: age, weight loss, children, husband, ex husband, pictures, Skeem Saam, nominations and Instagram
- KB Motsilanyane biography: age, son, husband, boyfriend, songs, albums, nominations, Instagram and net worth
- Zola Nombona biography: age, sister, Robert Marawa, songs, nominations, awards, education, TV shows, movies and Instagram
- Pallance Dladla biography: age, height, wife, girlfriend, sdumo mtshali, Shadow, movie and Instagram