- Zulu regiment members from KwaZulu-Natal have denied rumours that they will be standing beside Jacob Zuma
- According to the regiment chief, Mlandeli 'Mgilija' Nhleko, they will not be taking part in Zuma's stance against the ConCourt
- Their denial comes after rumours emerged that the Zulus were going to Nkandla to protect the former president's homestead
The leader of the Zulu regiment, Mlandeli 'Mgilija' Nhleko, recently set the record straight about the members joining former president Jacob Zuma in his fight against the South African Constitutional Court.
According to Nhleko, he and the rest of the Zulu regiment, who had been staunch supporters of King Goodwill Zwelithini, will not be standing beside Zuma, who continues to resist efforts made by the ConCourt to appear before the Zondo Commission.
The clarification from the regiment comes after rumours started flying that they were mobilising to Nkandla to stand guard at the gates of Zuma's homestead as he resists arrest.
“We have nothing to do with that, Zuma is a resident of Nkandla and we have nothing to do with that … What is he protected from? We don’t know anything about it,” he said emphatically in an IOL article.
Briefly News also reported that Wednesday, 14 April had been former president Jacob Zuma's last day to inform Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng about the way he believes he should be sentenced if he is found guilty of being in contempt of court.
Zuma, however, revealed that he would not be writing to the Constitutional Court. In a 21-page letter addressed to Mogoeng, Zuma stated that if he was found to be in contempt of court he would be the first prisoner of the Constitutional Court.
According to News24, Zuma stated that the 21-page letter serves as his response to the only manner in terms of which he is able to convey his "conscientious objection" to the way the ConCourt Justices have "abused their power" by allegedly taking away his rights afforded to him by the Constitution of SA.
EWN reported that JZ would not "legitimise" the contempt of court charge by telling the Chief Justice how he should be sentenced. Speaking about a hearing, Zuma said he did not request one as it was an "invention" of CJ Mogeong.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!