Cockroach at SPAR Dobsonville Gets 1M Views, Supermarket Closes Bakery Area After TikTok Video

Cockroach at SPAR Dobsonville Gets 1M Views, Supermarket Closes Bakery Area After TikTok Video

  • A video shows a SPAR in Gauteng where a shopper spotted and filmed a cockroach that was running around
  • The clip was disturbing and went viral on TikTok as people reacted to the post of the little critter in major grocery store
  • Many expressed their horror, and SPAR Dobsonville told Briefly News about the steps they took to address hygiene concerns

PAY ATTENTION: Briefly News WhatsApp Channel - Breaking News on the Go - FOLLOW NOW

A TikTok creator posted a video of his bad shopping experience at a popular shop. The video he recorded in a Dobsonville SPAR got lots of attention.

TikTok shows roach on bread at an SA grocery store
A TikTok video shows one of SA's biggest supermarket chains in Dobsonville, where a customer spotted a cockroach. Image: Getty Images/ @Bloomberg / TikTok /@mzibongilemzizi
Source: Getty Images

The harrowing food video received over 10,000 likes from netizens. People were mortified, and they flooded the comment section with their concerns, SPAR spoke to Briefly News about the pest problem.

SPAR responds after TikTok shows roach in store

Read also

South Africa amazed as family takes own pap to eat at Spur in viral TikTok video

A TikTokker @mzibongilemzizi posted a video showing bread sitting on a counter. In the now-deleted video acknowledged by SPAR, a roach ran around the bread before entering the loaf.

SPAR's spokesperson Mpudi Maubane explained to Briefly News that SPAR Dobsonville took steps to address the roach problem. She said:

"This past Thursday, 02 November 2023 a TikTok user filmed a live cockroach moving across fresh loaf of bread in the bakery section.. We immediately closed off the bakery area and commissioned a forensic deep cleaning of the store whilst investigations went ahead. Our pest control partner moved in swiftly on the matter and instant arrangements were taken to ensure food safety whilst fumigating the store."

After seeing complaints from customers, Ms Maubane told Briefly News about Spar's dedication to selling clean food:

Read also

Mzansi outraged by Johannesburg man's TikTok video of cockroach running into baked bread at shop

"SPAR Group is committed to the highest standard of hygiene and food safety, and our values reinforce this principle."

SPAR's Muzi Mulaza added:

“Our food safety report conducted last month showed no signs of pest infestation, and we were taken aback. We are aware that we have let our customers down, and we are deeply sorry. We apologise profusely and are taking every precaution to ensure this never happens.”

SA disgusted by store cockroach

Many people were reminded of cases of food contamination in South Africa. Netizens pointed out that it was not only spaza shops with a problem.

User4960819112963 said:

"I thought it's a spaza shop."

SponkieLove exclaimed:

"Eish Malema was right... I apologize for attacking him."

User4599597080039 wrote:

"Lare bora lona. We're tired. Lona EFF."

Skyl061 commented:

"So are these shops going to be closed like bo Friend.. Makula

Hlubi added:

Read also

R200 Pick 'n Pay snack haul in TikTok video by student leaves SA viewers bowled over by food deals

"The way you opened that bread, you wanted to see the roach."

MossMahlangu inisted:

"Most kitchens in Mzansi have that, nothing new here."

Kids die after allegedly eating snacks

Several stories have made headlines about kids dying after eating food. Briefly News reported that two sisters died, and it is suspected they ate snacks from a tuck shop.

Jungle Oats box filled with moths goes viral

Briefly News previously reported that a woman was mortified after opening a brand new box of Jungle Oats that had insects living in the box.

The video got thousands of likes and even more comments with people's reactions. Some shared their stories of how Tiger Brands products were often spoilt, and the company's PR and Media manager responded to the concerns.

A lady, @thee_sne, on TikTok, posted that she opened a box of Jungle Oats well before the expiry date only to be met by a swarm of pantry moths.

PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ click on “Recommended for you” and enjoy!

Source: Briefly News

Authors:
Rutendo Masasi avatar

Rutendo Masasi (Human-Interest editor) Rue Masasi is a Human Interest and Entertainment writer at Briefly News who graduated with a BA (Hons) in English from Rhodes University in 2018. Rue also has 2 years of experience in journalism and over four years of experience as an online ESL teacher. She has also passed a set of trainings by Google News Initiative. You can reach her via email: rutendo.masasi@briefly.co.za

Online view pixel