- Zweli Mkhize allegedly benefitted from Digital Vibes, a company that won a R150 million contract from the Department of Works
- A report released by the Daily Maverick has revealed that Digital Vibes paid for maintenance work at a property owned by Mkhize's family trust
- The contract has been found to be irregular with a number of issues; President Cyril Ramaphosa has taken a personal interest in the report
A report released by the Daily Maverick shows that the company Digital Vibes carried out work at a property owned by Mkhize.
The property is owned by Mkhize's family trust. Digital Vibes won tenders worth R150 million from the Department of Health.
The Daily Mavericks investigative unit, Scorpio, discovered that the company allegedly paid for maintenance work on the property owned by Mkhize's family trust but also allegedly transferred R300 000 to Mkhize's son.
The R150 million contract was found to be irregular in May 2020.
May Mkhize, the health minister's wife said she had no knowledge of the payment made for maintenance work. She is one of the trustees of the property in question. Digital Vibes reportedly made two payments of almost R7 000 for electrical work carried out by a contractor.
Digital Vibes scored the massive contract which was linked to the National Health Insurance (NHI) programme as well as for work related to the government's response to Covid-19, something the government could have done without Digital Vibes' assistance according to News24.
A forensic investigation into the contract was carried out and was handed over to the Special Investigative Unit (SIU).
The report stated that the bidding process for the tender contravened the Public Finance Management Act, and the service provider was irregularly appointed and conflicts of interest were not disclosed.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has been waiting for the report to be finalised and wants to take a close look at the findings personally. When he does get around to reviewing the report his reaction will most likely determine Mkhize's career going forward.
Earlier, Briefly News reported that African National Congress (ANC) National Chairperson Gwede Mantashe said that calls for Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize to step aside during the Special Investigation Unit's (SIU) probe were an 'occupational hazard'.
Mantashe stated that those who are making the calls should allow the SIU to complete its investigation into the allegations. Mantashe added that when the truth comes out, action needs to be taken.
The Chairperson had been speaking during a remote online lecture which was hosted by the ruling party in the Eastern Cape on the evening of Thursday, 27 May.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!