Chakalaka recipe is a highly sought after treasure that unlocks the pleasures of a South African tasty delicacy that will leave you licking soup off your fingers. Found among the black communities in South Africa, Chakalaka is a delicacy that should be celebrated by all. Fortunately, it is now possible to get this meal from your nearest KFC outlet.
It is quite common to find people who seek to learn how to make Chakalaka, understandably so because of its unique taste. However, Chakalaka has no standard way of preparation, to the extent that it is possible to find a family that enjoys different flavors of Chakalaka every night depending on the person cooking. Even with this, the ingredients used are the same. Here is the best chakalaka salad recipe.
What is Chakalaka made of? - Chakalaka recipe
It is not surprising to ask what is Chakalaka made of? However, the simple ingredients that make it up are quite remarkable. Here is a clear Chakalaka recipe that will deliver quality meal within the shortest time possible.
- Finely chopped white onion (250g)
- A mixture of red, green and yellow well-diced bell peppers (150g)
- Red chilies (30g)
- Well chopped cabbage (150g)
- Grated carrots (200g)
- Roughly cut tomatoes (250g)
- 60ml sunflower or canola cooking oil
- Turmeric (2ml)
- Leaf masala/curry powder (2ml)
- Salt (2ml)
- Aromat (15g)
- One tin of baked beans (400g)
- Hot Fruit Chutney (15ml)
- Brown vinegar (15ml)
- Brown sugar (15ml)
READ ALSO: The easiest soft roti recipe ever 2019
How to cook
- Heat the cooking oil over a medium set to heat in a casserole dish
- Add onions, chilies, and bell peppers in the dish with heated cooking oil
- Once it softens put the cabbage and carrots. Give it time to soften then add the tomatoes.
- As you stir the mixture, you need to add; 2ml turmeric, 2ml leaf masala/curry powder, 2ml salt, and 15g Aromat, to give the mix a pleasant taste.
- Give it a few seconds then add; one tin of baked beans (400g), hot Fruit Chutney (15ml), brown vinegar (15ml), and brown sugar (15ml).
- Serve hot or cold. Some people will advise you to let it cool then you refrigerate until the following day. This is to allow the meal to get the right taste.
It is, however not rare to find variations of Chakalaka recipe. The most common variation has ginger added onto the ingredients. By and large, this recipe will help you cook the best Chakalaka for you and your family. The most important thing is to ensure you make your family smile by combining this recipe with the right oven heat and a great chef’s instinct.