Knowing and understanding the NPO registration process is crucial for anyone who is looking forward to starting a nonprofit organization. With the NPO online registration, things have been made easier and straightforward for anyone wishing to go down this path. The crucial thing is to understand how to do it right.
Before getting your NPO registration certificate, you must have followed the steps below to apply. The certification is only awarded if you adhere to the necessary requirements and meet all that is stipulated therein. Here is a guide on how to go about the registration one step after another.
NPO registration online
First things first, you need to pick the NPO registration form. Remember that the registration certificate is essential for anyone that requires funding for their non-profit organization. You can only receive certain amounts of funds if you are recognized by the state department. You need to submit the application to the nearest provincial social development office. Note that NPOs include companies, trusts, or other associations of persons established for a public purpose.
If you are ready to have your NPO registered and known officially, follow the procedure below:
1. First, you should submit the completed NPO application form at your nearest provincial social development office. This should come together with two copies of the organisation’s founding documents:
- Trust – Deeds of trust and letter of authorization from the courts
- Section 21 – Certificate of incorporation and memorandum and articles of association
- Voluntary Association – Constitution. Ask around and have a look at acceptable NPO registration constitution example and model yours on them.
- The founding documents of the NPO must meet the provisions of Section 12 (A-O) of the Nonprofit Organisations Act, 1997 (Act 71 of 1997). Failure to do this will lead to your application being rejected and disqualified.
- You can choose to submit your application at your nearest provincial Social Development office or to post it to The Directorate, Non-profit organisations, Department of Social Development, Private Bag X901, Pretoria, 0001 or to deliver it by hand to the Department of Social Development, 134 Pretorius Street, HSRC Building, Pretoria. Go for whatever works for you best as long as you use the right NPO registration contact details.
2. In case of any forms of dissatisfaction with the rejection or cancellation of your organisation’s certificate, you are allowed to launch an appeal to the panel's arbitrators for a review.
3. The moment your organization is registered, it is mandatory that you submit the organisation's annual report nine months after its financial year-end. This annual report should include the narrative report and a financial report as part of its components.
READ ALSO: PSIRA registration: step-by-step guide 2019
Importance of registering your non-profit
While there is a lot of emphasis on registration, it helps to know the perks of doing so before you proceed. So why should you push for the NPO's registration? Here are a few reasons that will convince you to work on getting the certification:
- It improves your credibility and funding opportunities
- It allows for your organisation to open a bank account
- It is helpful when your organisation needs to access tax incentives.
While the gains are many and encouraging, you can only register if you are any of the following:
- A non-governmental organisation (NGO)
- A community-based organisation (CBO)
- A faith-based organisation (FBO).
How to register a nonprofit organisation with CIPC
You can also register a nonprofit with members manually. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Register as a customer.
- Deposit funds.
- Reserve a corporate name.
- Register your company manually.
- Service turnaround time: 25 working days from the date of tracking.
- Click here to lodge an enquiry.
NPO registration is crucial if you want your organization to thrive and get the support it needs. Make sure that you get it right from the beginning. If you haven't registered yet, make a point of doing so soon. After all, it's easy and straight forward.
- How to register an NGO in South Africa in 2019?
- How to tender in 2019?
- How to check if a college is registered with Department of Education