In the age of technology, a mobile number is the equivalent of someone's identity. Therefore, no one would enjoy memorising a new number whenever they switch from one network to another. As a result, it would be prudent to unpack details on how to port to MTN
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- How to port to MTN
- What is Mobile Number Portability (MNP)?
- Can you port from Vodacom to MTN and still keep your number?
- Can you port your SIM to MTN?
- Can you port your SIM card online?
- Where can you port your number to MTN?
- Can you port MTN contact number?
- What should you do before you port your number?
Mobile networks are constantly improving their services, causing subscribers to change to the companies that meet their needs. The constant change calls for a solution to navigate networks without acquiring a new phone number every time.
How to port to MTN
Mobile number portability is a feature and service that allows users to switch from their service provider to MTN and retain their phone number.
Porting allows you to enjoy the services that MTN offers without acquiring an MTN contact number. As a new subscriber, you will be required to use an MTN recharge card to recharge your number.
How do you port your number?
The process of porting to MTN is a straightforward process that you can carry out from the comfort of your home. These are the steps you will be required to follow:
- Visit any MTN outlet with your current phone number.
- Present valid ID (driver’s license, Voter's card, national ID etc.)
- Complete the port-in form and submit it.
- Alternatively, you can dial 3232 and follow the IVR voice prompt.
Note: Porting is free of charge and takes about 15 – 20 minutes to complete.
How to port from MTN to Cell C
If you would love to try out Cell C, you can opt-out and still retain your phone number. The process is as easy as following the following steps:
- Buy a Cell C starter pack and have it registered with RICA.
- Using the old SIM card, you will be required to SMS the new SIM serial number to 084 767 8287.
- You will receive two confirmation messages on the old SIM. Therefore, you will have to wait for the old SIM to lose network service before inserting the new Cell C SIM card into your phone.
How to port from Vodacom to MTN
If you wish to switch from Vodacom to MTN, the process is as simple. Follow the steps below:
- Purchase a new MTN SIM pack from an MTN store or retail shop.
- Ensure the SIM is registered with RICA at the store, providing your ID and proof of residence.
- Before inserting the new MTN card, send an SMS to MTN from your old Vodacom number with the message "portme#" followed by the ten digits of your new MTN card number (e.g., "portme#07123456789").
- MTN will send a confirmation SMS to your old SIM, acknowledging the receipt of your message.
- Wait for approximately 24 hours before inserting the new MTN SIM card into your phone.
- Dial 136 to activate your new SIM card, and it will become active for use.
Note: This process is only legible to prepaid customers. Contract customers are required to visit a Vodacom store for the process.
How to port your number from MTN to Telkom mobile
If you wish to migrate to Telkom, the process is as simple as following the following steps:
- You will need to buy a Telkom SIM card and have it registered with RICA.
- Using your old SIM card, you will be required to text portme# followed by your ID number and the 20-digit ICCIC number on the back of the new SIM card.
- After 24 to 48 hours, insert the new Telkom SIM card into your phone.
What is Mobile Number Portability (MNP)?
MNP is a feature that enables you to transfer your phone number from your current service provider to MTN while maintaining the same number. This allows you to benefit from MTN's extensive network coverage and high-quality data services enjoyed by their customers.
What is a porting number?
This is the process of transferring or porting a phone number from one telecommunications carrier to another.
How to port to MTN Beta Talk?
Porting to MTN Beta Talk is as simple as dialling *123*2*1# or text BT to 131. However, you have to wait for one month, after which you must migrate to a new tariff.
Can you port from Vodacom to MTN and still keep your number?
Porting your mobile number from Vodacom to MTN and retaining the same number is possible. Users can switch from one mobile network to another while keeping their phone numbers.
Can you port your SIM to MTN?
You can do so by sending an SMS stating "portme# " followed by your new number to 082 767 8287.
Can you port your SIM card online?
Currently, you can only initiate the porting process through the SMS method. Alternatively, you can seek assistance by visiting your service provider's office.
Where can you port your number to MTN?
You can carry out your porting process anywhere, anytime, as long as your new SIM card is registered by RICA.
Can you port MTN contact number?
You can only port numbers that are currently active. Your number should also be registered and verified by RICA.
What should you do before you port your number?
Ensure you have a backup of all contacts stored on your current operator's SIM card to prevent potential loss. Withdraw any funds from mobile money accounts associated with the number you intend to port.
The process of how to port to MTN is easy. Just remember to ensure that your new SIM card is registered through RICA.
DISCLAIMER: This article is not sponsored by any third party. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!
Telecommunications companies such as Telkom use USSD codes to make their services more accessible to customers. There are multiple Telkom USSD codes that make life a lot easier. Customers can use them to manage their airtime, data, and voice subscriptions.
Source: Briefly News