If you have always cherished the desire to serve as an airforce officer, here is everything you need to know to make your dream come true. Before you pick up and fill the South African Air force (SAAF) application forms, there are some basic specifications that you must be familiar with, as stipulated by the South African Defense Intelligence. In this article, we discuss the processes, requirements, and documents besides other vital information that you must note.
The South African Air force (SAAF) is one of the primary sections of the arms of service of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF). As an arm of the defence force, it contributes to the safety, security, and welfare of South Africa at all times. They are in control of the South African skies. SAAF has also been structured towards other working areas such as regional peace-keeping, maritime patrol operational control, and disaster relief.
The SAAF provides combat-ready air capabilities for the SANDF in service of our country
Requirements of joining the South African Air Force
The Airforce Military Skills Development programme is a two-year voluntary service system. Recruits are required to sign up for a period of two years, during which they will receive military training and further functional training. How do I join the South African military force? Follow up to check and see all the requirements.
- Must be a South African Citizen (Relinquish any other citizenship).
- Proof of criminal records by the Criminal Record Bureau for verification
- Not area bound
- Preferably single
- Compulsory medical fitness (applicants will have to undergo the prescribed SANDF military health examination)
- Not having physical disabilities or fear of heights
- Compulsory psychometric test with proof
- Aged between 18 to 22
- Comply with all the directions required for appointment in the SANDF
- Recommendation by the selection board
Serving in the air force requires particular psychological and physical attributes and the intellectual potential for developing the unique competencies needed in the air force. Not everybody has these attributes, and it is a selected few who will qualify for an appointment in the air force.
READ ALSO: Covid-19 updates: 3 Soldiers test positive, Cele stands firm on booze
Applying for jobs at the South African Air Force
To join the SA Air Force, you can follow the below steps to apply.
1. Visit the department of defense’s official website.
2. Download the SA Airforce application forms or the SANDF application form.
- Unfortunately, at the moment, the official SAAF website is not functional, so please visit saaf.co.za later for more information regarding the next SA Airforce recruitment process.
The SAAF offers several varied and exciting careers, both in the air and on the ground. The following occupational directions are available.
- Aircrew - Pilot or Navigator
- Aircrew - Other
- Command and Control
- Aviation Maintenance
- General Maintenance
- Technical Support
- Reserve Squadrons
Additional requirements for Engineering
Applicants must have completed Grade 12 with full matriculation exemption, with Mathematics and Physical Science minimum HG C figures or equivalent. On the completion of their academic studies, these members will be allowed to apply their experiences in the Engineering environment for the remaining months of their contract.
Additional requirements for apprentice training
Grade 12 with Mathematics and Physical Science as a passed subject or N3 with two languages on the Grade 12 level as passed subjects.
a. Grade 12 Certificate/N3 Certificate
- Two (2) languages, i.e. English compulsory and language of choice (GGE) 40%
- Mathematics and Physical Science (GGE) 40%
- 18-22 years of age
b. Tertiary Qualification
- N4-N6 Certificate in a technical field
- Two (2) languages, ie. English compulsory and language of choice (GGE) 40%
- 18-26 years of age
READ ALSO: SANDF application forms, closing dates and requirements in 2020
3. Submit your following documents with your application form:
- A valid ID card or proof of identification
- A copy of your grade 12 certificate
- Your up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A certificate of your highest academic qualification obtained so far
4. Once you have completed the form, you can submit your application with the required documentation to:
SA Air Force Headquarters
Air Command (Directorate Human Resource Services)
Private Bag X199
An application acting in accordance with the minimum requirements will be subjected to further screening. After that, the shortlisted candidates are invited to partake in a selection process.
READ ALSO: SANDF chief tells army not to allow citizens to disrespect them
Anyone applying for any of the career functional areas must first successfully complete the Military Skills Development programme.
SANDF recruitment in 2020 is closed. The application process is in February of each year, which means that every time you want to apply, you have to be fast about it.
Frequently asked questions
These are the most common questions about joining the SA Air Force
What does the South African air force do?
They are in complete control of the South African skies. And due to the limited air combat capability, SAAF has also been structured towards other areas such as regional peace-keeping, maritime patrol operational control, and disaster relief.
How much does a South African soldier earn per month?
SA Airforce soldier salary ranges from R 9,310 to approximately R11,461 per month in South Africa. However, other entitlements add up to increase their pay, including allowances, disbursements, and other benefits in respect of their service.
How many fighter jets does South Africa have?
The SA Air Force has 34 fighter aircraft.
The information discussed in this article covers all the requirements for joining the South African Air Force. Once the essential documents and information are submitted, you are one step ahead towards your dream career.
- Heart-warming photo shows SANDF troops giving water to the elderly
- SANDF lauded: Moving photo shows soldiers walking gogo after shopping
- Videos: SANDF, cops force Soweto residents to exercise as punishment
Source: Briefly News