Are you wondering how you can break the monotony of taking a plain boiled egg? Well, you do not have to worry as you can prepare deviled eggs. These are halved and hollowed yolky delights that you can entertain your family and friends with at any time. They have been in existence since time immemorial when the Romans were writing recipes on papyrus. They make a delicious lunch like that of a salad sandwich without being quite so messy.
Deviled eggs meaning: They are hard-boiled eggs, cut in half with the yolk removed. The yolk is set aside and mixed with a mayo base and then spooned back into the white halves. They are also referred to as devilled eggs mimosa. The term devilled is, thereby, derived from their spicy and hot flavour.
How to make perfect deviled eggs recipe South Africa way
Below is a deviled eggs recipe:
READ ALSO: Top 5 scones recipe
- 10 eggs
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. onion, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh dill, minced (or more, to taste)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Boil for about 10 minutes and then let them sit off the eat for another 10 minutes. This allows the white part to be firm and still tender while the yolk to be set and remain creamy.
- Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the hard yolks and place them in a small mixing bowl.
- Put the white halves on a platter. (In case you do not have one, cover a standard plate or tray with lettuce leaves. The lettuce leaves keep them from sliding around.)
- To prepare mayonnaise, get a large bowl and place mustard, egg, garlic, and sugar. Blend them using a stick hand blender until it becomes thick and creamy. If you want to add taste to your mayonnaise, you can opt to add lemon juice and mix again. After it is mixed thoroughly, add oil in a steady stream until the mayonnaise thickens. Add sesame seeds.
- Season to taste.
- Mash the yolks separately using a fork until they crumble entirely. Add mayonnaise and mix them thoroughly.
7. Using a spoon, scoop the mixture and spoon it back into the white hollows. Alternatively, transfer the filling to a plastic bag or piping bag. Use a spatula to scoop all the mixture into a resealable sandwich bag or piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Press the bag with your hands to push all the filling to one corner and press any air out of the top. If using a plastic bag, snip one corner off with a pair of scissors.
Here are some tips that you can use to decorate your eggs. However, you need to be creative by using something that will go well with it to avoid compromising the whole recipe. Below are some of the things you can use for the decoration.
READ ALSO: The tastiest Oxtail recipe ever
- You can use snip chives and scatter them.
- Mince parsley and scatter it over the tops.
- Use a black pepper mill to grind pepper on top.
- Thinly slice pimento-stuffed olives and lay one on each.
Serve and enjoy your delicacy.
In case you are wondering how to preserve the leftovers, you do not have to worry much as there is a way out. The good thing is that leftover deviled eggs can be kept refrigerated for several days. However, they may not look as pretty as they would be if they were freshly prepared.
READ ALSO: Quick and easy paptert recipe with cream
Deviled eggs ideas
It is important to note that there are more ideas that you can try and see what works best for you. For instance, you can try deviled eggs without mustard, or deviled eggs no mayo and see how it tastes. Another variation of deviled eggs recipe is where you make deviled eggs with avocado or any other thing that will give that creamy texture as mayonnaise.
For people who take keto diet, making a deviled eggs keto can be a good alternative. You can use avocado since it is keto-friendly.
Below are the frequently asked questions and answers.
How far in advance can I make deviled eggs?
You can make them up to 2 days in advance. The secret is to keep the white parts and egg yolk filing separately. Wrap the egg white halves well with a plastic wrap and keep the egg yolk filling sealed in a resealable plastic bag with all the air squeezed out.
Why are they called deviled eggs?
The term "deviled," concerning food, refers to spicy or zesty food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity.
Are deviled eggs good for you?
They are good. However, you can keep alternating the filling to make them healthier. This is because one yolk has 5 grams of fat and 55 calories, compared with only 17 calories and no fat in egg whites.
READ ALSO: Quick and easy paptert recipe with cream
What goes well with devilled eggs?
They can go with almost anything: meat dishes (ham, steak, chicken, lamb, etc.), soups (chowders, bisques), any sandwich meal, and even (light) pasta; especially cold pasta, such as pasta salads.
Why do you put vinegar in deviled eggs?
The mayo and mustard coupled with high-fat yolks add density and flavour while the vinegar adds a hint of acidity. The result is a surprisingly light and moist filling.
What can I substitute for vinegar in deviled eggs?
It does not need to be vinegar or anything with a blunt, sharp sour taste. A creamy sauce like mayonnaise or flavoured sour like pickle juice would do better.
READ ALSO: How to make to-die-for classic party jollof rice!
With the above best South Africa devilled eggs recipe, you have no excuse to try it at home and entertain your family and friends. This is a healthy meal that can go well with any celebration and occasion. It can also be consumed at any time whether for breakfast, lunch, or supper.
- The best Jan Braai seafood potjie recipe
- How to make South African Tramezzini bread
- How to make juicy Alfredo pasta that melts in your mouth