Mpumi is one of the best vocalists we have here in South Africa. She has managed to establish herself in the music industry through her efforts. Having been raised in a low-income family of a single mother and four siblings, she managed to beat all odds to become who she is today. Indeed, dreams are valid.
The music queen has managed to release several songs that were all received well by listeners. Her zeal and love for music is an asset that helps her prosper. She has a lot in common with Mpumi Nxumalo who is the director-general of the Department of Housing. This is because they have all managed to make a name for themselves.
- Full name: Nompumelelo Claudia Mzobe
- Stage name: Mpumi Somandla
- Year of birth: 19th January 1982
- Age: 38
- Gender: Female
- Career: Musician
- Nationality: South African
- Instagram: mpumi_somandla
The music sensation was born on 19th January 1982 in Ndwedwe, KwaZulu-Natal. Her family was poor, and she was raised by her widowed mother, who was a domestic worker. Her father died when she was little. She has four siblings. The family later moved to live in Ntuzuma Township, which is located in Durban since there was political violence at her birthplace.
Her mother managed to take her to school, and she managed to enroll her at the Durban University of Technology, which used to be known as Technikon Natal. She was studying video technology but unfortunately had to drop out after one year of studying because tuition affordability was a problem for her. She later joined Mbongeni Ngema’s Academy of Performing Arts, where she perfected her music talent. After saving enough money, she decided to go back to school in 2002.
The talented singer started singing at a very young age and performed whenever she found the audience way back in primary school. Joining Mbongeni Ngema’s Academy of Performing Arts made her realize she had the best vocals for singing. Regular advice and mentorship from Mbongeni Ngema also gave her the strength to pursue her music dreams.
She has talked in various interviews about her musical journey, which has not been smooth. Most record labels rejected her, which almost killed her dream. The producer Heavy K is the one who noticed her and helped her work on Umoya, which was a hit. She has since then captured the hearts of South Africans with her smooth vocals.
Albums and songs
The South African music sensation has released several songs.
The Birth of Mpumi
She released this album in 2016. It has a total of 15 Mpumi songs, as shown below.
- Mpumi Yahweh
- Dlala where she featured Cassper Nyovest
- Into Yami
- Ushela Kanjani featuring Josta
- Ngifike featuring Zodwa, KSDrum, and Dj Micks
- Ke waka featuring Candy, Busiswa, Nokwazi
- Oxamu featuring DJ Christor
- Mpumi Yilento
- Themba featuring DJ Micks
- Kuwe featuring DJ Mizz
- Ngize featuring Professor
- Can’t Tholakala
She has released singles and EPs as well, including:
- Mfokalanga featuring Professor released in 2019
- Mpumi Izulu (2018)
- Shona Malanga released in 2018
- Uyazi (2017)
- Ngifike (2016)
- Busa (2013)
- Love Hurts released in 2013
- The Beginning (2012)
- Somandla (2012)
She also appears on several tracks such as Bang, Udakiwe, Mbindi, Interlude, I Like It, Masambe, Makhelwane, Umona, among others.
1. She loves God. She is a prayerful person and is not afraid to share her faith to the world.
2. She loves African culture. The songstress is seen on several occasions dressing in African attire.
3. Mpumi also loves her family. She has worked hard so that she can remove her family from poverty.
4. She can dance. These can be seen in her music videos. She is, indeed, a talented lady.
5. She loves having fun. She has posted several photos of her on vacation in various places while relaxing at the beach, bike riding, touring several places, and more.
Mpumi continues to entertain South Africans and the entire world through her music. She also teaches young people the value of perseverance and not giving up on their dreams. We can only wait to see what she has in store for us!