Boom Shaka was a South African Kwaito music group that was formed in 1993 and disbanded in 2000. The group consisted of Junior Sokhela, Lebo Mathosa, Theo Nhlengethwa, and Thembi Seete.
When was Boom Shaka formed? Boom Shaka was formed in 1993. It was a popular foursome made of two girls and two guys. Upon releasing its first album in 1994, the group rose to become one of the pioneering groups in South Africa and Africa. What happened to Boom Shaka? Read on to find out.
Boom Shaka members
Who were the members of the band?
1. Thembi Seete
Thembi was born in 1977 in Dube, Soweto. At the moment, Thembi Seete age is 43 years. She moved to Yeoville with her mother, Rebecca, and her brother. She met Lebo and Theo in night clubs.
Thembi Seete Boom Shaka has received numerous nominations, among them being a Golden Horn Award for Best Achievement by a Lead Actress in a Made for TV Movie.
2. Theo Nhlengethwa
Theo Boom Shaka is a musical artist who is well known for his contribution to the music group from its inception in 1993 to when it was disbanded in 2000. Theo was born in 1975, and he grew up in Springs.
3. Junior Sokhela
Junior was born in 1973 in Meadowlands, Soweto. He provided the group's vocals from 1993 to 2000.
4. Lebo Mathosa
Lebo was born on 17th July 1977. She grew up in Barwa Street, Daveyton, and was later sent to live with her grandparents in ga-Sekororo when she was eight years old.
Her parents brought her back to Gauteng when she was 11 years old. She started singing in Sunday school choirs and received standing ovations for her powerful voice.
She moved to Johannesburg in 1991 to matriculate at St Mary's High School. At Johannesburg, she got more involved in music. Together with Thembi and Mmabatho, they formed LTM Girls.
Her professional career took off when she met DJs Christos Katsaitis and Oscar Mdlongwa.
Is Lebo Mathosa still alive? No, she isn't.
How did Lebo Mathosa die? She tragically died in an accident in October 2006 when she was 29 years old.
READ ALSO: Brinnette Seopela bio: age, child, married, best pictures, career, house, profile
Boom Shaka albums
The group's list of albums includes:
- Boom Shaka was released in 2015.
- Kwere Kwere (LP) was released by Kalawa Records in 1994.
- It's Our Game (No Need To Claim) was also released by Kalawa Records, in 1996.
- Words Of Wisdom was released by Teal Records in 1998.
- Aint No Stoppin' (Us Now) was released by PolyGram in 1998.
READ ALSO: Bongani Fassie bio: age, Brenda Fassie, father, songs, net worth
Boom Shaka songs
- Lerato - The Boom Shaka Lerato song is a hip-hop, rap, R&B tune that was released in 1996.
- Kwere Kwere
- Get Bogie Et
- Love's Taken Over
- The Way I Feel (Radio Mix)
- Funky Booda
- The Way I Feel
- Love's Taken Over (Radio Mix)
- Thobela - The Boom Shaka Thobela song is in the group's It's Our Game (No Need To Claim) album.
- Bambanani - The Boom Shaka Bambanani song is one of the group's most popular hits to date.
- It's Our Game
- It's On
- Digong Love
- Party Goes On
- Black Natural Women
- Thobela (Slam Jam)
- Sunny Day
- Ride On Dub
- Nkosi Sikelela
- Nkosi Sikelela (Instr)
- Gcwala (DJ Christos '98 Remix) - This Boom Shaka Gcwala remix is found in the Words Of Wisdom album.
- It's About Time
- Be Free
- Be Free (Instr)
- Chandi Dance
- Chandi Dance (Instr)
- Crazy Song
- Chow Chow Chow!
- On And On
- Nothing Ever Changes
- Aint No Stoppin' Us (Extended House Mix)
- Gcwala (Ashamed Dub Mix)
- Party Time (90's Mix)
- Gcwala (Halo Remix)
- Gcwala (Instrumental)
- Party Time (Junior Mix)
- It's About Time
- Kwere Kwere
- It's Alright
- Love Taken Over
- Get Boogie Et
- On Your Feet
- I Like The Way
Where are they today?
Lebo Mathosa died aged 29 in a road accident in 2006. She was one of South Africa's most electrifying live performers, with a powerful voice and dance routines reminiscent of a young Tina Turner.
Thembi Seete is currently an accomplished actor, singer, and presenter. She has starred in Hijack Stories, Yizo Yizo, Gaz'lam, Crossing the Line, Mtunzini.com, Zone 14, and Rhythm City.
Theo Nhlengethwa had a hard time coping with Lebo's demise. He fought depression and suicidal attempts from 2014, and things became worse after Lebo's death, which affected him for years and had him hospitalized a couple of times. He spent months in hospital and was even wrongly diagnosed with thrombosis. Today, Theo is getting his life back together and is back in the music-making business.
Not much is known about Junior Sokhela.
Despite the fact that the Boom Shaka music group is no longer active, the mark it left in the South African music industry is indelible.
- Anthony Bishop bio, age, spouse, movies and tv shows, profile
- Bobby Motaung bio: age, children, wife, parents, cars, wealth, profile
- Sonja Herholdt bio: age, children, husband, songs, album, and profile