How do I apply for admission at UNISA? If you are looking forward to joining the University of South Africa and excited to be a part of such a reputable institution, the first step is filling the application form. The fear that comes with applying for a new thing is understandable since you want to get it right the first time. So, if you want to know how to fill the UNISA application form the correct way, this is the perfect article for you.
The University of South Africa is an admirable institution that most of us would love to be a part of. The application process is very simple and straightforward, all you need to do is to follow the correct application process.
READ ALSO: UNISA qualifications and modules guide
How do I apply online at UNISA?
Can I apply online at UNISA? There are four categories that you can apply for at UNISA on their official website. These are:
- Undergraduate qualifications
- Honours degrees and postgraduate diplomas
- Master’s and doctoral degrees
- Short learning programmes
- Confirm that you are okay with Open Distance Learning (ODL) so that you can be sure that this institution is the right fit. In addition, you will need to have a valid email address and cellphone number for communication purposes.
- Secondly, you need to answer a question about whether you will need career counselling or not. If you need career counselling, the university will give you such services.
- Choose the qualification you prefer in their different faculties like Accounting Sciences, Education, Law, and many more. Presumably, you already know what you want to learn at this stage and that you are already qualified for your choice.
- After going through these steps, go ahead and scan the following documents:
- A copy of qualifications document from your school
- If applicable, scan your tertiary academic documents. Internet copies will not be accepted by UNISA. International students may be required to undergo an SAQ A evaluation in the case of Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas. In addition, except for UNISA students, final year students who do not have the official documents proving undergraduate or previous studies can submit their official academic records.
- If you are from SA, scan your ID document. If you are an international student, you can use your ID or passport.
- If applicable, scan your marriage certificate as well.
- Ideally, all documents should be in either English or Afrikaans. If not, translate them and have the translations sworn.
Keep in mind that UNISA can also request additional documents from you. So, be prepared for anything, especially if some of your documents need further clarification. Each document must have a maximum size of 2MB and they must be in black and white. Finally, you can only upload documents as a PDF (Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format file), TIF (image file), or DOC (Word document file). In addition, the documents need to be uploaded individually before the application deadline.
5. You will receive a student and a UNISA application fee reference number after completing the above steps. After receiving the numbers, you have to pay a non-refundable fee of R105. Again, the deadline for making this payment is the application deadline day. To be on the safe side, keep a copy of proof that you have made the payment. The University of South Africa does not accept cash, which means you have to do it through their bank. They accept a number of payment options such as debit and credit cards, bank deposits, electronic funds transfer, and others. If you are applying for a Short Learning Programme, you won't have to pay an application fee.
6. Make sure that your application is complete and satisfactory before submitting. Note that you will need the UNISA student number to access the online application form.
7. Wait for a reply from the institution about the status of your application. If you have been accepted, you can now register for your modules using the student number and begin your academic journey.
Other application methods
If you feel like the above steps needed for the UNISA application do not suit your needs, go ahead and apply in person. You can do this by visiting the nearest UNISA office and filling the form there. You can find a list of their offices on their website. Alternatively, you can call UNISA or get in touch with them through other means and request for an application form for you to fill. One thing to keep in mind is that hard copy applications for the undergraduate program will require an application fee of R160. For students wishing to join a Technical Vocational Education and Training college, you can apply through the self-help options or online.
How long does it take for UNISA to process applications?
Usually, this is a lengthy process that takes anywhere between six and eight weeks after the application’s closing date. Therefore, do not start worrying about your UNISA application 2019 if you do not hear from them in a week or two.
UNISA application is a process that has been extremely refined over the years to make it as smooth as possible for every category. Unfortunately, the UNISA application dates for 2019 are now way past the closing date for most of the programmes, so you cannot access UNISA application forms online. If you are interested in applying, keep checking the site to see if they are open or call them for more information about the exact dates.